Your Boat & Motor Pictures

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Todd

Your Boat & Motor Pictures

Post by Todd »

This is my 1970 40+ mounted on a Downeast flatbottom skiff, a boat design centuries old made by New England lobstermen to ferry traps, bait and other gear from dock to boat. Lots of rocker forward keeps a laden bow atop the waves. She's ten feet in length, with a five foot beam, made of fiberglass by Sargents' Boats in Milbridge, Maine. At 135lbs she'll do 17mph with my '56 Johnson 7 1/2hp. pushing her.
The Stillwater river flowing past the home of my birth is chock full of smallmouth bass which keep me entertained all summer. Last year I accumliated over 150 hours of trolling time and not once did my 'Gull fail me. I use a piece of clear 1/4" fuel line to extend the cooling water exit nearly to the warerline, which renders moot any circulation issues at tickover speeds.

Birds of a feather awaiting Spring.

Todd on Stillwater
Charles uk

Re: Your Boat & Motor Pictures

Post by Charles uk »

Beautiful pics!
In the last 10 years I seen about 10 broken crankcases & tiller arm stubbs, where motors have been stood in the middle of a wall like that, when they fall, they always seen to go jam side down wrecking the crankcase & dinking the tank.

Built a stand!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Charles uk wrote: Built a stand!
I know, you're absolutely right. Though they're quite out of the way it will happen sooner or later. Good advice.
outboard

Post by outboard »

Very nice Todd, your gulls look well. Do you attach the 1/4" pipe to the exhaust to secure it? Does this really help the water flow at idle speed?

Gerard
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

It must act as a syphon lowering the effort to raise cooling water.
Meaning the pump only has to raise water 150mm not 500mm.

Someone thinks outside the box,,,, very clever.

Think, you'd better take up Seagull racing, you could be dangerous!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Todd

Post by Todd »

No, I just let it hang. I simply inserted a 2" peice of 5/16" thinwall tubing (actually a bit of water tube from a shortened 40+) into the exit hole and pushed on a length of soft 1/4" i.d. fuel line. The effect, as Charles said, is to reduce the height to which the water pump must push the column of water from what, 18-20"? to the 3 or 4 inches the tube ends above the water line. And yes, it really works. You'll be able to count individual power pulses before the water stops. Interestingly, the CPC doesn't need one, it continues to pump right down to a minimal idle.

I can't take credit for the idea, someone posted it here maybe a year or so ago, and I apologize to him that I can't remember who it was.
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

With that flat bottom, does the hull plane?
It must be very stable . . .
Todd

Post by Todd »

Yes, very stable, the main reason I chose it for protected water fishing and just putting around. I can stand and climb around for whatever reason without a thought of tipping over. Even my usually water-timid wife feels very secure in it.

It won't plane with a Seagull pushing it, but does so and skips along nicely with the old 7 1/2. Montel Sargent, the builder says he made 25 mph with a 10-horse Mariner outboard. With the abundant front rocker, it planes bow high with only the aft 1/3 of the hull contacting the water, making for relatively low drag.

Enough. I only posted in hopes of encouraging others to do the same. Like anything else once you've posted a few pics, it's becomes quite easy. I upload to Photobucket, then from there to the forum. Who's next?

Todd
cahillp3

Post by cahillp3 »

This is my first engine.
Not finished restoring by a long shot but here is a few pics...

ImageImage

And yes, All the restoring work has been carried out in my front room while watching TV with my partner:):) once i got the smell of the 20 year old petrol and oil off she was happy...... Very considerate i am
pdb

Post by pdb »

cahillp3 wrote:This is my first engine.
Not finished restoring by a long shot but...
How did you get the cylinder head and shaft so clean? Did you completely dismantle first?
Going home after a long day
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1415/132 ... 8754_b.jpg

The fleet at Summit. Mt. McKinley is about 45nm away at 20,320 msl.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/187/4373 ... 2482_b.jpg
cahillp3

Post by cahillp3 »

Been taking my time with things. Took off the Gear box and removed the prop and exhaust flange and cleaned that with fairy liquid and a cloth. A lot of elbow grease involved.
For the Head and everything else I set it up so I could get comfortable and carefully scraped the real heavy stuff with a screwdriver while watching multiple episodes of House, Then I used a screwdriver IN a tea towel and really went to work all over the head and crankshaft. After I had removed most of the tough dirt I used a heavy duty degreaser spray + a sponge and that helped with the rest.

I removed the silencer, drive shaft, Gas tank, carb and cleaned each one separate, that gave me room to work in the hard to reach areas. I haven't gone into the flywheel or Head. I'm going to start her up and if there is no problems I wont open it.
For the silencer I washed it in the sink with fairy liquid and a sponge, just came out nice.

A lot of physical work went into this as I don't want to use petrol or paraffin in the house if I can help it. just too dangerous with the fumes.

Hope it works after all this. But I enjoy every minute:D
Two months ago I didn't have a clue what the hell a head or a drive-shaft was:P

The only rust i'v seen is a little on the drive shaft, can I just sand and spray this? doesn't seem to be any pitting or dents..

Here's a few more. The Before Pics is how I found the engine. Been lying in my Fiancees mother's shed for about 30 years. The after is the last two months of doing a little every night.

For the bracket I used the old Caustic soda in the laundry basket trick. But it took a lot of scrubbing with a wire brush to get it to shine.I didnt know it was brass untill i started scrubbing. any idea how to keep it shining ling term?

I have to credit the lads on this site. This site is a gold mine of info.
ill have more pics soon I hope...gonna try and open the Brass tank with heat and completely clean it up.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

I too rebuild Old Dears inside the house, mostly the kitchen close to the fridge............

I do all of my cleaning with solvents or degreasers or smelly stuff outside first.

Use Coconut Oil (100%) to keep your bronze clean and glowing from now on. It works and smells very tropical 8)

Wipe over with a soft cloth after 1/2 hour.

Regards

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
cahillp3

Post by cahillp3 »

No way. Coconut oil. must be a viscous solution is it?

Need to build myself some sort of stand. its fallen over twice. One if those times the spark plug was the first thing to hit my back, left a nasty gash, still there :|
Back home in Ireland so gonna try and source some O rings for the Fuel tap.
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

Crescent 42 c 1980 plus Century long shaft long range tank c 1961 all after minor restoration

Must get a picture on the water -- when I can get down the drive
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

"No way. Coconut oil. must be a viscous solution is it?"

Um actually the stuff basically comes out of the sexual parts of a tree!

A Coconut one at that and yes it would have a Tad Viscosity Index as being "An Oil". Wear a condom if you are affronted with that.................Still works a Treat but.

I seem to read that someone mentioned that maybe a Stand would be a Good Idea so that, various Old Dears do not fall over........and in your case, cause personal injury. WOW!, it Happened!

Now, you WILL have some problems with sourcing the cork O' Rings that you mention. I think John at SOS has a few remaining but best to ask for details in that.

Are you REALLY IRISH?

Makes My Day if You Are.....

Down_Under, we Love Ya!

Or are you just taking the Piss Mate?

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others