Your Boat & Motor Pictures

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

rosbullterier

Re: Your Boat & Motor Pictures

Post by rosbullterier »

How priviledged we must feel to be so technically and socially uplifted by our indespensible friend from Where God Kissed The Earth.

Wonder if he chews pickled shallots to start the day . . .
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I think you might have to try lifting that century, maybe as much as 4 inches.
Assuming that you'll be sitting in the stern, steering with a standard length tiller arm.
Looks nice , sorry can't come for a ride.
But us soft southern Pussies don't thrive too well in the cold with midges!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
40TPI
Location: North Buckinghamshire, 110 miles south of Yorkshire, England.

Post by 40TPI »

Pictures are certainly useful and desirable, up to a point. But many here do not have the pleasure of reliable high speed broadband or unlimited downloads. A long initial post with numerous high resolution pictures with further pictures in follow up posts becomes a pain to download unless posters sensibly limit the file size or, better still, post thumbnails or links. That said the last picture in this post is a comfortable and praiseworthy 18kb.

Readers then have the choice of whether they want to follow the thread and download the original sized pictures or simply read the headline story and decide they are not interested to pull up the graphics.

The picture hosting sites do a good job of relieving John at SOS of having to provide server space for the pictures and more importantly the download bandwidth to support them. Of course there is a learning curve for posters putting pictures up whether directly onto a forum or via a linked picture hosting site.

I feel that is a small effort to make to participate. If that doesn't suit those that hanker for a direct load picture laden content with less text and easy reading Red Top five word sentences they are free to build their own boat and motor picture appreciation site elsewhere on the web.

Peter
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

If people are still are dial up internet and do not wish to pay for broadband internet that is not anybodies problem but their own. So what you are basically saying is don't post pictures on this site, and if you wish to do so then you can b*gger off elsewhere!
40TPI
Location: North Buckinghamshire, 110 miles south of Yorkshire, England.

Post by 40TPI »

Not at all and I apologise if I give you that impression. Despite UK govt statistics on coverage it is perfectly possible to find locations in the south of England where reliable 512kbs broadband is not available because of (electrical) distance from the exchange. Nearly two million people live within twenty minutes drive of this location; however I do not enjoy reliable basic rate broadband 24/7. Reluctance to pay is not the issue! Availability is the issue. And this is the case in many other UK locations and other countries.

Basic netiquette suggests posting links, reduced size images and thumbnails to allow the reader to decide whether to use bandwidth/time to download the full pictures having read the text. You may of course disagree however until the www has universal fibre coverage across the globe I don't see that founding courtesy going away any time soon.

Peter
outboard

Post by outboard »

Totally understandable, personally I'm fortunate to be in an area for broadband but I can understand how this could ruin the pleasure of the forum for guys where they have to sit for ages waiting on downloads, I've been their. I agree that until broadband is available to all, posting pics on photobucket or wherever is no big problem.
Keep our great forum cheerful and enjoyable for everyone.

Thanks for your comments guys.
phil

Post by phil »

Well here goes a photo post try.

[IMG]http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp29 ... 0_0965.jpg[/IMG]
phil

Post by phil »

Yes, just as I expected this site, isn't very user friendly for photo posting. Use the same methods used as on other pfs ware sites no problem, why should this site be any different?
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

phil

Post by phil »

Thanks RBT
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

How to do a thumbnail? Agreed that would be sensible. We have satellite broadband in remote areas downunder. I'm amazed UK cannot provide broadband to everyone.
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

now who is getting there nickers in a twist .....those who dont want easy post pictures get ready to eat your words ....watch this space for an anouncement ...those who like pictures thanks for your support

I do agree long streams of full size pictures are a pain but if brendon gets it right a post with photos will have thumnails and then open up what you want to view at full size .

now you all have a nice day ..
dobro

Post by dobro »

Hi. Today my friend Mick and I got our Seagull. A red letter day as we had been planning to go fishing a bit deeper water than is possible in waders. We already have an inflatable, a 3 mtr Waveline, but alas until this week no outboard, just oars. So this arrived today.

102 on stand.jpg
After a little bit of assembly, make do and mend, it started and ran solidly, shifting a fair bit of water in the wheelie bin. Can't wait to get it on the boat. First run on Monday for a bit of sea fishing.
'A bad day's fishing is better than a a good day doing anything else'
outboard

Post by outboard »

Greetings dobro, welcome to the crazy world of Seagull's, you'll be well looked after on this site, no need to worry about your engine needs, all the guys here have seen it, done it end have the t-shirt.

As for the picture debate, I'm all for pics, I only have a concern for the guys (who I forgot when I put pics on) who don't have broadband. Here's hoping Brendan comes up with the goods.

Gerard
dobro

Post by dobro »

I've been retired about a year now and have been spending a fair bit of time fishing with my good friend and co-owner Mick.
About the same time we realised that we both shared a dream of being boat owners. Nothing major, just a way of getting out on the water. The winter has been a sort of gung-ho period for getting kitted out. It's amazing how much more equipment you seem to acquire when setting up even the simplest fishing boat.
In fairly short order we've acquired two outboards (one an electric trolling motor for use where two strokes are banned), fish finder, boat rods, safety equipment, collapsible lobster pots. And all this on a shoestring budget.
We've been on the site as a guest for a couple of months now, getting the feel for Seagulls. Something about them really talks to us. The 102 that we have (from a fellow member) is in great condition. It might be about the same age as Mick, 50-ish, and we're looking forward to personalising it a bit.
We're planning a trip up Loch Ness this summer, wild camping and fishing our way down the loch. Everything will have to go in a 10 ft inflatable. There will definitely be photos.
'A bad day's fishing is better than a a good day doing anything else'