stripped down FP pics

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

outboard

stripped down FP pics

Post by outboard »

Here are some pics of my stripped down FP, it's seized. I was lucky after soaking the gearbox in diesel for a week it became free easily, however the piston is still seized and is proving a bit of a job to move. Unlike some of the guys on the site, I'm not mechanically minded so I'm learning as I go along. I'm listening to the guys and as you can see I've only stripped the bear essentials, i.e. the block is not off.
The whole engine is covered with grime and rust so it'll not be a quick fix as I hope to give it a good clean where possible, and this includes the waterways. I found a lot of muck in the water pipe leading to the block and with some back pressure it now seems pretty clear.
I'm now waiting patiently on the piston which is soaking in diesel which I put in from the connecting rod end. After one day I noticed a drop in the diesel level so I assume it is seeping through as hoped.
I hope these pics will help any other novice to this type of project.
Gerard

Last edited by outboard on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rosbullterier

Re: strpped down FP pics

Post by rosbullterier »

Reminds me of my first Seagull - an LLS

I filled the plugole with Redex (best corrosion searcher I've found). Waited.

Bashed the piston with lump hammer and wood stick.
Worked a treat. Do it bit by bit.
Hone the bores, replace the rings. As new . . .
outboard

Post by outboard »

Excuse my lack of knowledge, how do I go about honing the bores? I like the sound of new rings etc.
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

You rush down to your local branch of Machine Mart and purchase a three legged Glaze Breaker - about £25.
Return post haste to workshop, attach honing device into electric drill.
You've now only got one bore to clean up. Remove most of rust with stainless kitchen scourer.
Read instructions. No forget that, you're a bloke. Put three legged device into bore. Apply engine oil copiously to stones.
The idea is to just remove scratches, glazing, rustfast marks and leave a surface with 45degree swirls up and down the bore (allows the new rings to bed in)
So, with variable speed drill at fairly slow speed, move device from bottom to top of bore as fast as you physically can. This is essential to achieve the 45degree crosshatching pattern.
Theoretically this should only take moments, but especially with any bore damage or wear I should do it until tired (won't take long), remove device, clean bore with petrol, examine and repeat until satisfied.
The deglazing stones only remove a fine top surface - you're not reboring!
When delighted, wash out bores thoroughly with soap and water to remove every last trace of grinding paste.
The new rings are specially shaped and won't require sizing to the bore. They can be fitted fairly easily without a ring compressor.
After its going brrrmm, brrrrmmm, purchase a compression gauge and report back with your reading . . .
Last edited by rosbullterier on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

Oh, and edit your title spelling.
Grammar Police are in the area . . .
outboard

Re: stripped down FP pics

Post by outboard »

Hey, thanks for the help and thanks for the English lesson.
I'll certainly keep you posted on my progress.
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

One prefers stripping to the required standards.
timberman2004

Post by timberman2004 »

bluddy hell....
RBT must have found god .....all that good free advice

either that or he's been at the gin again ...leading light in the Lerryn Dipso's dontcha know
Neal...errrr... an ON, OP, 2xSD, F, 3xSJP, LLS, 2xFV, FVP, FPC, CPC WPCL, WSC, and a few eggs hatching, hopefully
outboard

Post by outboard »

Just checked out my nearest Machine Mart, 20 mins drive, looks like I'm going down the road of honing and putting on new piston rings.

Thanks for the advice RBT.
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

Well it's so bloody cold I need to huddle over a warm computer. My Winter Heating Payment must be late.

However, we still need to elicit the postal area of said owner of this rusty old 40+ - one assumed the possibility of an Antipodian/Polynesian thread with the supposed Maori mask.

But do the tentacles of Machine Mart extend around to New Zealand?

Methinks perhaps not . . .
outboard

Post by outboard »

Sorry my friend but I'm not a native of anywhere exotic, I'm in Ayrshire Scotland. I hope this doesn't change the help you give me.

I see the weather forecast for yourself is not too pleasant, hope your weather payment comes in soon.

Gerard
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

Sounds pretty exotic to me.

But then I don't live there.

I thought the Forum was shortly to be officially managed from the other side of the Equator . . .
outboard

Post by outboard »

Nah, nothing exotic where I am, lots of countryside, lots of seaside, and lots of cold weather.

Never been on such a widespread forum with so many friendly guys. The help is invaluable. Thanks for your contrinutions.
pistnbroke

Post by pistnbroke »

Dont you just hate double posting....
outboard

Post by outboard »

Sorry, I don't get your point!