Need advice please

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

outboard

Need advice please

Post by outboard »

I'm stripping what I think is a forty+. I have stripped the gear box off and it seems seized, should the rod and the prop etc turn freely when they're off the engine? I then tried to dismantle the leg from the body, the two screws came out ok but the leg seems stuck, should this come off after loosening the two screws under where the number should be, this one has no number, or should I be doing something else.

Thanks for any advice.
Gerard
billyboy

Re: Need advice please

Post by billyboy »

yes the prop shaft should spin freely when removed from the drive shaft. and even a bit extra on its own after you stop turning it.
sounds like heat may be your best option for those two screws but others may have better ways.cheers1
outboard

Post by outboard »

Sorry I've not explained well, I got the two screws out ok but the leg is wobbly but won't come off, should I have disconnected anything else. Don't want to damage anything, hence the questions. Sorry to be a nurd.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

You may find that the drive tube is rusted to the end of the crank, and at the bottom end to the shsft that comes out of the gearbox.

I have found that trying to get the gearbox off first works best, so give the gearbox a few taps down wards with a bit of wood to see if it moves .

If it is very badly corroded then you will need to get your angle grinder out (like 40TPI).

You may also find that the pinion and bush pull out of the gearbox housing before it separates from the drive tube.

The pictures of the sectioned 40+ on the main site will let you see what is inside.

H-A
phil

Post by phil »

You have removed the exhaust tube right? The usual procedure is to drop the exhaust pipe, heat may be needed at the top, unscrew the compression fitting on the cooling water pipe from the exhaust port area, and finally remove the 2 nuts at the top of the drivetube. This should allow disassembly, unless the driveshaft is rusted on a both ends.
phil

Post by phil »

Sometimes the water supply pipe will be corroded into place in the pumpcase part of the lower unit as well
outboard

Post by outboard »

I told you I'm a nurd. I haven't taken off the exhaust tube as I was following the worksheet 1 in the manual. I got the gear box off at the bottom two bolts but the driverod is still attached, is this right? I then took the two bolts off under the serial number position but that's where the leg won't come off. I will add that the rust and gunge is incredible so I guess this is my problem. Should the driverod separate from the gearbox usually, I know it is well rusted? This could take me time, I won't touch till I know what you guys say. Should the flywheel turn freely if the piston isn't seized now. It doesn't by the way, so I gues that's my next problem. I've got WD40 soaking in the plug hole.
outboard

Post by outboard »

Just read the topics on this sight, one suggested an angle grinder which I might pass on, however one shows a cut out view of the gearbox, excellent, now I know where I'm going. Just the matter of getting the leg seperated from the motor housing.