Is this a fuel filter

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

outboard

Is this a fuel filter

Post by outboard »

Hi Guys

As I'm new to the Forum and my knowledge of the workings of my engine is nil, I decided to buy and old seized engine so that I can dismantle it and try to understand what you guys are talking about. I'll hopefully get some decent spares into the bargain. First thing, I don't see an id number, should all engines have one? Second, there's a type of glass bowl fitted to the fuel tank where the hose then goes to the carb, is this a filter? The lot is seized solid so I don't think it'll start again, but I'll get the experience of stripping down. I'll get my old clogs on and go and search for a number and try to give you more info on this engine.

Cheers
Gerard
40TPI
Location: North Buckinghamshire, 110 miles south of Yorkshire, England.

Re: Is this a fuel filter

Post by 40TPI »

Sounds very much like an after market fuel filter (usually found on later Seagulls that have a rusted up steel fuel tank).
A picture of the motor is worth a thousand words so posting one here with your question always helps people to give you an answer! Just because it is seized doesn't mean it will never run again. You could do a lot worse than use the search feature on this forum for all old postings containing the word "seized" to read how others have freed up motors. And if you haven't already visited the main web site to read the FAQ section and also the " ID your motor page" that will certainly help you find the model/serial number of your treasure and how to maintain it......

Good luck with the project!

Peter
outboard

Post by outboard »

Thanks for that. You actually answered a question I didn't want to ask (fear of being stupid), "could I maybe restore it". I'll get a pic in due course.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Gerard
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

If you were in Australia I would say you have an Olympic. They came with a glass bowled filter and the numbering was ahh.... different, if at all. On the flywheel it would have either Australian Olympic or Seagull Seagull. Does it have a carry handle bolted to the crankcase? Have a look at the pics on this thread:

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/fo ... f=2&t=1592

Many a motor has been unsiezed.

Cheers Hugo.
outboard

Post by outboard »

Hi Hugo

No, this is not it. I'll post a picture tomorrow. It doesn't have a number, that's for sure, I've had it upside down even, and not a thing. It has a Mk1 flywheel with the wire clip to hold the ht lead cover thingy. Does the type of grip on the handle tell us anything about age. I see there's two grips, one shorter than the other, also the barrel in the carb looks like brass, where as my 1970 Forty plus has a silver barrel. I might be picking at straws now.

Gerard http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/fo ... f=2&t=1700#
outboard

Post by outboard »

How do I post pictures?
outboard

Post by outboard »

Can anyone identify this, this filter is on the fuel tank.
40TPI
Location: North Buckinghamshire, 110 miles south of Yorkshire, England.

Post by 40TPI »

I have no definitive answer however I suspect that it is water trap and fuel tap combined. The sort of thing usually found on Rudolf Diesel type engines and tractors. The fuel filters in the carb banjo bolt and the standard Ewarts fuel tap are usually all that is required when a brass tank is fitted and it is kept clean. Additional filters are only usually seen on (later) motors cursed with a steel tank that has started to rust inside.

I'd guess that a previous owner had a fuel tap cork dry out on him/her and decided to use this for the fuel tap part of it. Bit ugly but if it works keep it until you sort out the rest of the motor? Just hope the 1/8" BSP thread on the tank outlet hasn't been butchered to accept this "tap/filter"

Peter