Small Boat/Pram/Dinghy for a Forty Minus

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

PeterW
Small Boat/Pram/Dinghy for a Forty Minus

Post by PeterW »

Afternoon...

was talking to the boy (my 10 year old..) about the gull at the weekend, and he raised a valid question !

'What boat are we going to put it on Dad..?' :?

Got me thinking, as we are currently boatless and the stuff I am looking at is usually inboard diesel size.

I was thinking about something small and light to use as a pram or tender for something bigger, but easily built such as stitch and glue ply designs. I've worked with plenty of Mirror dinghies in the past, but was looking for a (free..?) design that someone may have..?

Ideas on a postcard please..! :D

Cheers

Peter
phil

Post by phil »

Use my featherweight on a Rabl "Midge" plywood construction, easy build, good capacity, and won't flip if a neophyte steps in the bow, unless they are very large. Moves pretty quickly under featherweight power with about 180+ lbs. on board. Rows well for a 8' boat, will sail ok. Plans free.
phil

Post by phil »

Also see www.svensons.com/boat, click plans large number of free plans, to print out. PM me for Midge plans, or get " Boatbuliding in your own Backyard", S.S. Rabl edition 1 1948, ed 2 1958. Good read boatbuilding on the cheap. Google also Glen-L and or Clark craft
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Peter - unless you feel compelled to build something (maybe as a father/son project?), the most economical route would be to buy a fibreglass dinghy which you could cartop, by the time you have taken into account the cost of plywood, wood trim, fibreglass blah blah!

Dinghies in need of a bit of TLC can be found cheaply, though this ain't the best time of year to buy them.

I used a Featherweight on an eleven-foot fibreglass rowing boat on our local river, at permitted river speed - on not much more than a fast tickover.

You might also need a fatherly discussion about the fact that the number of engines you have doesn't necessarily have to be relative to the boats you may or may not have - a discussion I occasionally have with my wife (though not fatherly obviously) about my apparent of motors! Rick
PeterW
Post by PeterW »

Cheers all for the comments !

The number of boats vs engines made me laugh - we have 6 vehicles for 2 drivers in our house at the moment..! :D

It is more of a father/son/daughter project - something that can be used at some point for all sorts of tasks so I'm keen to make it something that is usable too !

Cheers

Peter
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

I had the same problem with my nine year old and a surplus of featherweights.

So I built a one 8x4 sheet 6mm ply boat.

When it is finished I will post pictures of how it goes with a featherweight on the back.

H-A
Vic

Post by Vic »

This one fits a 40 Featherweight nicely

Image Image Click to enlarge

Just get a couple of sheets of ply and a few offcuts of hardwood and you are practically there.
PeterW
Post by PeterW »

Vic

That's the sort of thing I was looking at - is it from readily available plans..?

I've also looked at a D4 which may become the start of a hybrid design !

Cheers

Peter
Vic

Post by Vic »

That's the sort of thing I was looking at - is it from readily available plans..?

No sorry it is unique but the design was inspired by the Jack Holt "Jack Sprat" that plans were available for in the late 1970s
trw999

Post by trw999 »

So what's wrong with another Mirror?

You can pick them up fully kitted out off ebay for not too much, the kids could learn to sail or just have fun in her, you can row her and I used my Forty Minus on mine when I was a lad and had a great deal of enjoyment from both the boat and the engine.

Still got the Forty Minus, mine since new in 1967.
PeterW
Post by PeterW »

Horsley-Anarak wrote:I had the same problem with my nine year old and a surplus of featherweights.

So I built a one 8x4 sheet 6mm ply boat.

When it is finished I will post pictures of how it goes with a featherweight on the back.

H-A
H-A

Is that from plans as its about what I am looking for..!

Cheers

Peter
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

No I designed it my self.

When I have tried it out, I will draw up some proper plans ( 3 people already want me to build them one).

It is about 7' 9" long and has a 35" beam.

I am building in buoyancy fore and aft, the whole thing will be light enough to carry down to the beach and car top.

It is really designed for a couple kids to use but should take one lightish adult with care.

If all goes well this weekend we should be poping it in the water, to see how it floats.

H-A