Piston Rings Part number S1297P

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Horsley-Anarak

Piston Rings Part number S1297P

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Have looked at the cross section of an early 102 and the part number for the rings is 1297.
On the bay there are some rings that have P.N. S1297P, just wondered if these piston rings will fit my AC (1953).

Also are all of the Villiers flywheels the same size and shape, am looking for a better flywheel, as mine has a couple of deep spots of corrosion.

Thanks

H-A
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

I hope all the 102cc rings are the same because I bought some recently and am about to purchase some more for rebuilding motors in the future, sometime.

I think you will find the AC flywheel is the same shape as all the later 102's and Centuries. Contact John Willliams because he definitely has them
bigoink

Re rings .

Post by bigoink »

Beware .....i bought some rings a while ago (S1297P) ,thinking they were ok for the 102 . Alas, they didnt fit. Too wide for the grooves,if i remember rightly.
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

Allan, are these the rings on Ebay with 0 bids by Tackletactics which will expire shortly?

If so, two points:
first, I have sent the comment to them from Bigoink amd am awaiting their reply (I bought some from them some while ago for a future rebuild)

second, I am also interested in them, so if these are what you want, tell me and I won't bid
Andy
Jan

Post by Jan »

I,ve got NOS 102 piston rings for sale. Only €1 each. Also many other NOS Seagull parts.
Regards, Jan
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

We are not at all heducated round 'ere. What does NOS mean?
phil

102 parts

Post by phil »

NOS= new old stock. Phil
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

I don't know where bigoink got his idea from from that the rings with the correct number do not fit, must have been an anomaly in his piston.

The consensus is that Tackletactics is an honest and concerned enterprise, I have met them and so has CharlesUK at boat jumbles - they would not sell an item not suited for purpose.

I was dismayed at bigoinks observation and emailed it to Tackletactics, the reply was:

Hi Andy
Thank you for your reply, it was really appreciated. I do my level best to advertise correctly and at a reasonable rate but it does concern me if one of my customers isn't happy, especially a good customer such as yourself. Really though if the rings don't fit I am more than happy for you to return them and I will fully refund. The whole point to selling spares is that it keeps old engines going or gets their engines up and running again so please any problems just let me know.
Thank you for your kind words and best regards
Viv

Of course, to be safe than sorry, buy spares from SOS
timberman2004

Post by timberman2004 »

have to agree with Andy ....
dealt with Tackletactics previously ..very upfront and amenable pair
good purchasing experience
Neal...errrr... an ON, OP, 2xSD, F, 3xSJP, LLS, 2xFV, FVP, FPC, CPC WPCL, WSC, and a few eggs hatching, hopefully
Waggles

Post by Waggles »

Could it be that Bigoinks piston had been partially seized at sometime? I did that to an old BSA motorcycle I had at college ( well, oil was expensive ) the end result was the piston 'squashed down' a bit and the ring grooves narrowed slightly, until I could afford a new piston I had to grind down piston rings to fit :oops:
bigoink

Ref piston rings............

Post by bigoink »

It looks like somebody has taken my comments the wrong way . All i said was that i had a set of piston rings in original packaging that were for a silver century square block motor . When i tried to fit them to a 102, the rings were to wide for the grooves . In no way did i imply that there was any wrong doing from' tackletactics' who were not even the suppliers in this case.In fact the rings came with a century engine sometime before ,but were never used. I was merely trying to make folks aware that they MAY NOT ..... fit, due to the experience i had . In future ill keep my gob shut !
mick r

Post by mick r »

In future ill keep my gob shut !
Please don't do that !

The whole point of this forum is to express views, and give, and obtain information.

If you keep quiet the thing will "collapse", and a very good source of info, and often "amusement" will be gone.

MIGHT BE that the piston you had in your 102 was a "pattern part" replacement.
I have had this on large diesel engines when 1 piston & liner has been replaced with an "AE" component, (AE used to manufacture pattern parts).
The ring grooves were larger in this case, than the original Gardener pistons. (might be to avoid copyright, or they made the pistons to fit rings they already had).

RE: Tackletacktics, I have had several dealings with them both buying and selling, and the experience has always been good.