102 tank dimensions

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

phil

102 tank dimensions

Post by phil »

Does anyone happen to know the thickness of the brass stock used to form the 102 tanks, as well as the length of the long range tank? While I have figures for volume on the oval brass tanks, no figures for the 102 tanks. It appears that if I want a 102 tank it will have to be built.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

A while ago there was a thread on 102 tank dimensions, but I don't recall the long range tank being mentioned.

I'll pop out to the workshop tomorrow and measure the length of one. I don't know the thickness of brass used. Actually, it's extremely unlikely you'll achieve anything close to the original without some sort of press tool for the ends, they are quite deep.

The easiest, best, most convenient, most authentic way is to buy a second hand tank. There's one on eBay at the moment, and it's most definitely worth sending John an email to ask if he has one.

Assuming he has, then carriage over to Canada shouldn't be ruinous, and in any event is bound to be a better bet than an attempt to fabricate the filler etc.
phil

102 tank dimensions

Post by phil »

Seem to recall someone saying that fuel tanks are not acceptable for shipment, think it was John. Otherwise I agree it would be the easiest solution. Actually have a stainless cylinder 14" long and 5" outside diameter open at one end with another end that is very similar to the 102 tank end, if I could find another one it would likely be possible to make a stainless tank that would look quite close. Too bad its not 4 1/2 " dia! It appears to be from one of those food warmers some restaurants use, it probably held gravy. Seems that out in the colonies here [Canada and others] we tend to immediately think of how we can fabricate a given part while over there things are in such plentiful supply it doesn't make sense.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Fuel tanks are probably acceptable if steam cleaned.

My problem with replicas is that at the end of the day that's what they are, and it's obvious to anyone who sees it. The value of the motor is degraded, and the whole enterprise just doesn't seem to be worth it. From a purely functional point of view, sure, it's a motor, and no matter what the tank looks like it'll function just fine.

But looking on one carriage site a package of roughly those dimensions should cost maybe £25. Added to the cost of a used 102 tank isn't that a better bet?

Send John a mail, see what he's got!
pistnbroke
Post by pistnbroke »

made this one in 30 min ....cost about 75 pence...yet to drill for the filler and outlet tap ........have a transfer from john to finish it
Last edited by pistnbroke on Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Two observations about that one:

1: How do you get the fuel in and out?

2: Must be heavy if it needs axle stands

I'll get my coat.....
philj

Post by philj »

Hi all,
seagulls are made to work and be fixed with little equipment and only basic skills, so good for you! There are no shops at sea, so work with what you have got.
Regards
Philj
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

Whenever I have arranged collection of a Seagull with a carrier, the description used was 'Marine Spares' which has been quite acceptable, as they do not like transporting engines.

A water wash out particularly with some aromatic additive will remove the fumes. I have tested a tank twice last week with petrol for a leak and quite successfully left the water hose in the inlet for a few minutes before re brazing.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

I test for leaks by blanking off the outlet and putting the lid on.

Then when she has been unchained from the kitchen sink, just submerge it in hot water and look for the bubbles.

Simple but it works.

H-A
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

In deference to your immense experience and that I shall thrash you on December 20th, I disagree with your Health and Safety method.

In fact I disagree with all Health and Safety methods.

Often the cap gasket cannot be guaranteed not to leak, you might not know slight pressure is being lost.
Apart from cellulose thinners there isn't a common garage liquid other than petrol I know of which will creep better through a slightly porous, about to disintegrate, bit of very thin metal.
And I would rather find out before prepping the tank, applying the decal, and spraying it with 2 pack.
After my last oval tank rebuild, I realise how much more flimsy the oval Centuries can be than the 102's. After lengthy correct bottom heat to red, the flange stayed attached to the body but disintegrated about 1/2 inch away all the way around, leaving me with remnants of the end cap to rebuild. (with brazing rod, not silver solder)

Got your Party Hat?
http://www.lerryn.net/news
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Got my hat and a new engine (now complete with spark and compression).

I am quite sure you will thrash me in the race, but perhaps not in the Beer drinking afterwards.

Do you think I would drive for five hours towing a boat (with two "are we nearly there yet" kids), just for the chance to get my nice shiny polished Seagull dipped in salt water, I hope the local pup sells Tribute.

:lol:

H-A

P.S.Hope there is a prize for furthest travelled.
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

I've been polishing night and day since the last Seagull Race.
The beer is Doom.
Don't forget the start off is 10am . . . and then there's the Tug O War afterwards! I shall possibly wear a wet suit with the Party Hat . . .
And Fowey should be all - happening!
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Two pints of Doom for me then.
She will have a half pint of Doom in a pint Glass.
The kids will have fruuity squash and a packet of crisps, with a straw.

:lol:

Winner buys the first drink.

H-A

P.S. 20th December is my daughters 6th birthday, that took some selling.
"It will be fun" in the cold!
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

There will be mulled wine at the sign on; what is the name of your boat again, Scandinavian isn't it? We will have short white catamaran and 19' skiff.
Maybe I'm a pessimist but I can see some of the new tank paint dissolving in the petrol and heading directly for the primary jet. Both engines worked perfectly with the slave bare brass tank . . .
And then there's the ignominy of waiting for the prize giving knowing you've ballsed up - remember to steer to starboard of the 'Narrows Flag' at Ethy Rock - and the Fowey Harbour limit is 6knots so confine the planing to the quiet bits
Six eh? Last year I fouled my plug (don't idle); the rival competitor drew alongside, threw out his six year old daughter who sprinted off to the winning bell!
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Starboard, is that the right hand side? Next thing you know we will be in the Yacht club topping up on Pimms (is that spelt with two m's).

My fantastic fast craft is of Norwegian design, and we have called her Larr's, watch my wake.

6 Knots we are lucky to get 6 KPH.

New tank paint can wait. Paint is heavy every ounce counts. :D

H-A