transom mounting bracket

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

snatch

transom mounting bracket

Post by snatch »

hello everyone.
im a newby......
i have owned several seagulls over the last 10 years and now after a 2 year break (i actually bought an evinrude 5hp,BIG mistake) i am back in the smelly old world of the illustrious seagull,a 40+ to be precise.
i have just got home from a very productive cod fishing trip on chesil beach and after chatting to a fellow seagull owner he told me about a "transom mounting bracket" for a seagull he has seen advertised for sale locally.
my query is,what is this thing and what does it actually do ??. :?:
regards
snatch
Waggles

Post by Waggles »

Well I hope you already have one to be honest, its the bit with the thumb screws on that mounts the engine to the back of the boat. Most engines should have one but occasionally they get separated for various reasons.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Or maybe it's the type for permanent fixing to the boat!
Last edited by Vic on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
snatch

Post by snatch »

apparently it is a permanent fitting on the boat as it has what looks suspiciously like 4 bolt holes drilled in it.
it also has a metal loop thingy at the top and a plastic clamp thingy at the bottom.
i can only assume it is meant for an engine which doesnt already have any
means of securing it to the tramsom.
it is on ebay item no 360082086298
phil

Post by phil »

It appears to be a standard century bracket with the bronze thumbscrew parts removed and mounted on a piece of [wood?].
Vic

Post by Vic »

It is a bolt on bracket!

The security bar and its assciciated safety pin are missing.

It does not look quite the same as the one in my parts lists from the early 1970s, which is for all Century and Silver Century models, so I am not sure exactly what models it would fit. Somewhat later I guess
Got to be bargain at the current bid though!
Last edited by Vic on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
phil

Post by phil »

It looks exactly the same as the century bracket that I have mounted on my sailboat after having removed the bronze G-clamp thumbscrew pieces,[ which come off quite easily only being held by one screw each]minus of course as Vic points out the all important mounting pin. The seagull literature describes how to use this clamp as a permanent mount for century motors on your boat transom
snatch

Post by snatch »

thanks everyone
Geoff Uphill

40 plus transom mount bracket

Post by Geoff Uphill »

The 40 series had a special transom mount bracket - its on page 54 of the parts book - part no P240.
The century will detach from its frame and removing the clamps, this will bolt direct to a transom - this is how my century is on my boat at present.
But the 40 series needs a separate bracket to do this - as the clamps do not detach.
ASIK they are out of production - but I expect John has several and I have at least three brand new.
They are distinctive in having a U shaped Lug, off to one side only, at the top, where the pin clips in.
rikanaka

Bolt on bracket for 40/40+ with odd thrust block

Post by rikanaka »

Any ideas as to the origin of the thrust block on this bracket? It doesn't seem to match the thrust block in the spares book.

Close-up detail of the thrust block:
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

The thrust block is from a wartime - or - thereabouts 102. It's a good idea, because the forties didn't have the device that stops them rearing up out of the water when you try to start them.

Forty series bolt-on brackets are not all that common. Like all these brackets the dimensions and details seem to change frequently.
rikanaka

Thank you

Post by rikanaka »

Thanks for the reply, Charles. Interesting mix of parts from different eras. By the way, I was filling out a crossword puzzle the other day and, being a statesider, it took me a minute or two to come up with a 5-letter word for "Bay on the English Channel", 3rd letter "o", 5th letter "e". I hate to admit it but I went through locations on the other side of the channel first. Finally thought of Poole, which was the correct answer.

Bob
twostrokenut

Post by twostrokenut »

I have one of those thrust blocks , with the peculuar lock , on a scrap Century 100.
If anyone is intereted in it , PM me , and it's yours for the price of the postage.

Andy.