What’s this?

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

What’s this?

Post by Oyster 49 »

Just spotted this on eBay, it looks like a lot like a BMB leg, but not sure what the rest of it is. Any suggestions? Just curious really.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Outb ... Sw4PxZ9xEC
Keith.P

Re: What’s this?

Post by Keith.P »

Looks like a briggs & stratton outboard, What name it goes by, I wouldn't no, it's not a jetmaster.
I have seen another motor on Ebay with a mower engine, they turn up from time to time.
The only one I know is the Ocean outboard with a Tecumseh engine, only because I have one, but don't tell anyone. :oops:
Liam2k3

Post by Liam2k3 »

Something else curious on ebay.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2723147109

Looks like a century plus gearbox and stem but has a strange collar at the top,no clutch rod and a left handed aluminium prop.
Attachments
image.png
image.png
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Part seagull, part strimmer and still only good for parts.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

The first one looks like an adaptation to me, Briggs engine atop a BMB mid and lower.

Have a similar contraption in my collection, Aussie Seamaster engine atop a BMB mid and lower. Two half inch drive sockets welded back to back form the coupling between the crank and the drive shaft. Pretty clever at first glance, but when i realised they butchered the original crank to make it all go together, I let loose with a few expletives.
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Oyster 49 wrote:Just spotted this on eBay, it looks like a lot like a BMB leg, but not sure what the rest of it is. Any suggestions? Just curious really.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Outb ... Sw4PxZ9xEC
I will never be able to un-see that mess.

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I know what you mean! Horrible piece of engineering!
Ozzmotorz

Post by Ozzmotorz »

It must be fairly common, as I also have one. Same lower unit, but with a victa lawnmower engine adapted. It also was poorly engineered, and only run for a short time, before it flogged out the crankshaft bearings. Lol
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

The engineering on this one looked pretty good actually. They had machined up a block of aluminium to act as the interface between the Seamaster engine and BMB lower. They also got lucky in that the Seamaster exhaust manifold mated perfectly with the inlet at the top of the BMB leg. To facilitate the fit, all they needed to do was to machine the above mentioned piece of aluminium to the correct thickness (height).

You can see the machined block just behind the tiller bracket.
IMG_5125 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5126 - Copy.JPG
I was however dissappointed to find they had unnecessarily butchered the lower crank shaft section ie so that they could use their back to back welded socket coupling to connect it to the drive shaft. Why they didn't just modify the drive shaft to fit the original crank coupling set up, i do not know!

Although this didn't have the cowl sections or carby and throttle I needed to finish of my Seamaster, I bought it anyway just for the spares. Seamaster bits are hard to find these days!

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com