Here we GROW again!

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusAnzani

Here we GROW again!

Post by AusAnzani »

It's a disease. Well that's what I tell the wife anyway.

Regardless of having next to no free space left, I find it difficult to say no when an opportunity to collect something rare/special comes along.

1945 Evinrude Lightfour Model 4398 - US Military Owned - Unused

Was repained some years back, but will need to be redone as choice of paint used was poor. New tank decal came with the motor.

Early 1900's Miller Inboard

A few local mods. Needs to have an Evinude RBM style mixer carb. The Magneto drive components also need to be removed, as these featured a buzz coil ignition system originally.

Australian Seamaster - Serial No. 270

Made by the Australian Marine Engine Company AMECO, the Seamaster is likely to be Australia's first production outboard, supported by adverts dating back to July 1946. Commando may have been produced earlier, but does not appear to have been made available to the general public until 1947.

Missing a few original parts, but should be able to sort that without too much difficulty. The cut-outs in the cowls will also be reversed in due course.

Trojan Mini-motor / Cycle-motor

Just for something different. Great overall condition and came also with 2 spare engines.

These mini-motors are 49cc, hence not the same as those fitted to Australian Tornado outboards which are 75cc.

Hope you enjoy.

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Oyster 49

Re: Here we GROW again!

Post by Oyster 49 »

Ha, you have it bad :P

some really nice stuff there. I very nearly bought a similar evinrude 4 cylinder last year, but it would meant a major deviation in my current interest, so let it be. I would really like to move into a 1920s engine of some sort though.I currently have 1930s, 40s and 50s.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Those Trojan cycle motors are great too. I see we are now getting quite useable electric cycles now, similar concept I suppose.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Trojan Outboards ROCK!

Very FUGLY as well which is a value ad aye!

09122011168.jpg
09122011167.jpg
09122011165.jpg
When is the bigger shed S?

BnC[/color]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Collector Inspector wrote:Trojan Outboards ROCK!

Very FUGLY as well which is a value ad aye!

BnC
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes mate the earliest ones were FUGLY, no doubt about that. but the did get a prettier as time went on.
Collector Inspector wrote:

When is the bigger shed S?

BnC
"The Shed" is much needed now. Several restored outboard remain unassembled on bench tops and shelves because there are no rack. The reason there's no racks is because there's no room. Not good.

Regards,
S
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Oyster 49 wrote:Ha, you have it bad :P

some really nice stuff there. I very nearly bought a similar evinrude 4 cylinder last year, but it would meant a major deviation in my current interest, so let it be. I would really like to move into a 1920s engine of some sort though.I currently have 1930s, 40s and 50s.
If you haven't already done so, get on to ebay US and purchase a copy of "The American Rowboat Motor" from seller amerspin. He is great to deal with and is the author (Arlan carter) of that book. Although I am still waiting for my copy to arrive, I have seen extracts posted in various locations around the net. If that book doesn't motivate you to find/buy a Knuckle Buster of some description ASAP, I doubt anything will.

I know and understand what you mean about focussing a collection, but under the circumstances I simply could not say no. More on that another time.

That said, what is interesting to note when you see something like the Lightfour and the Seamaster (both of which were manufactured a year apart) side by side is the differences in level of technology and quality of castings. Not taking away from the Seamaster, as in my opinion, it is one of the best engineered Australian outboards considering the overall package and first year of manufacture. But having had an approx 40 year advantage in outboard manufacture, the Americans were clearly miles ahead of the Aussies and many others I would imagine.

None the less, my primary focus remains Australian although outboards from the UK and the USA are also becoming a growing part of my collection.

Regards,
S
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Good scoring S.
You may want to look for a suitable bicycle, to fit the mini motor to.
Then you can cruise the swap meets in style. LOL
Cheers
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

notav8 wrote:Good scoring S.
You may want to look for a suitable bicycle, to fit the mini motor to.
Then you can cruise the swap meets in style. LOL
Cheers
What a cool idea. Some BIG swaps coming up soon too aye!