British Anzani

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

guldner

British Anzani

Post by guldner »

Hello Folks,

Sorry for being "forward" this being my first post and I'm on the beg already, also due to being a "wanted" is this in the right place?

I have a British Anzani Pilot, Number PO/2831/S, which I would love to bring back to life. To fulfil this ambition I require a carburettor and a fuel tank, the doughnut type.

I know the fuel tank isn't imperative but I think that it makes for a very neat power unit. Currently the card associated with this motor is a Seagull Amal, which doesn't own a needle, so any attempt of starting is a no go.....Has anybody carried out this adaptation? If so, what jet/ needle have you used?

Any "pointers", directions, hints, tips or information will be gratefully received. Also if the engine could be dated please, I feel it will go a long way to spur me on.

Please help to save another of our "toys"

Thank you in anticipation,

Have Fun,

Yours, Guldner.
RickUK

Re: British Anzani

Post by RickUK »

Hello Guidner, and welcome to the site.

Pilots are nice motors - someone may come on with the parts you need, but it might be a question of obtaining another complete motor and raiding it for spares, depending which is the better motor! Have a good look at any tank you get, as they do rust badly inside.

The motors do come up quite cheaply, often around £30.00.

Regret there is no known method of dating any of the Anzani range - I think Anzani went out of business in the 1970's, and the business continued for a while under Boxley Engineering, who persevered with some of the range. Seemingly no factory records survived.

Bit rusty on them, but if yours has an Amal carb, it must be a Mark l, ll, or lll, so early/mid 1950's - does it have an aluminium tube as a drive leg, or is it a casting?

`Rick
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

You have a choice of three carbs, Amal with a screw on float cap, the oldest carb for the pilot, a little like rocking horse poo to find now.
Second is the Amal carb with two screws on the float cap, I only ever see the bigger BSA bantam ones for sale, £35 normally and lastly the zenith carb.
I have seen seagull Amal and Villiers carbs on Anzani Super singles 5hp motors, but I wouldn't have though that a Seagull carb would ever fit on a pilot.
I don't know anything about the serial numbers, but basically you had three styles of fuel tanks that go with the style of carburettor on the Pilot.
I would put the right carb on it with the right tank, its not as though they are an uncommon motor or even expensive, I think I have five of them.
guldner

Post by guldner »

First off thank you for such a quick response. THANK YOU.

The drive leg is an Aluminium Tube, so I'm guessing a later model.

Now the carb:- It is an Amal with the bolt on float bowl, the float bowl top with tickler is one piece. I know its not an original due to a "Sleeve" being on the inlet side to reduce the diameter, and the fuel inlet into the float bowl is at the bottom of the float bowl stopping the 360 swing. The carb has casting numbers 46NE 3A. Also stamped into the brass slider 14/3 and as I have said no needle.

So it looks like I'm in the market for a carb & a fuel tank.

Once again THANK YOU for your replies,

have fun,

Guldner.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The carb you have is a Amal twin jet, it has no needle and for much bigger cc motors.
Your pilot, is it like this one, with a rounded cylinder head its old.

P1010216.JPG
Like this, with a finned head not as old.
P1000171.JPG
I have others but no pictures.
guldner

Post by guldner »

The first picture is like mine, round head, by the way, very well presented engines. (If only)

So it does looks like I still need a carburettor....Any ideas peeps?

I do appreciate all the help, has anybody out there any spares hidden away?

Once again thank you.

Have fun

Guldner
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

If you are after an original carb, there's pretty much no chance of getting one, I have been looking for one for over a year for someone.
The same with the tank, tank caps at one end on the round head model.
Your bet bet is a donor motor, I have a late motor you can have, if you are around this area.
guldner

Post by guldner »

Thank you for the offer, unfortunately I'm not local.

If you could let me know any numbers /make for the carb I am looking for that would be a big help.

Once again thank you for the offer.

Have fun,
Guldner