Magazine stuff. Australia 1946-50

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Hugz

Magazine stuff. Australia 1946-50

Post by Hugz »

Left click once, Left click again to read.

Jet Outboard invented in England Oct 46
Jet Oct 46.JPG
Hornet Marine Engine Oct 46
Hornet Oct 46.JPG
Pilot (not Anzani)
Pilot Oct 46.JPG
Quantas Marine
Quantas Oct 46.JPG
Penguin Jan 47
Penguin Jan 47.JPG
Hugz

Re: Magazine stuff. Australia 1946-50

Post by Hugz »

Tasman Jan 47
Tasman Jan 47.JPG
Verity Jan 47
Verity Jan 47.JPG
Horsby Inboard Sept 47
Hornsby.JPG
New Engine (the Speed) Sept 47
Speed Dec 47.JPG
Speed Ascoy Sept 47
Speed Ascoy Sept 47.JPG
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Seasprite May 48
Seasprite Seamaster May 48.JPG
Available OB's July 49
OB July 49.JPG
OB1 .JPG
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Hi Hugz,
Thanks for posting the adds. I have a couple of the motors listed, an early model Speed, and an early model Seamaster. Also a later model Seasprite.
Great to see some aussie stuff.
Keep them coming.
Cheers
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Agreed. Keep them coming Hugz. These ads are fantastic!
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Will do. The Verity looks like an interesting motor. Wouldn't mind one of those.

I also note the NSW state library has some post war English periodicals but feel I might be stealing some of our overseas friends thunder :lol:
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Hugz wrote:Will do. The Verity looks like an interesting motor. Wouldn't mind one of those.
They are few and far between Hugz, but they're out there.

I have one in my collection, however its the later model with the pressed copper tank. I think the cast alloy tank as pictured was available during 1947 and 48 only ie 2 years or less.

In '56, Len Sheltrum purchased the rights to Verity, and modified it (ie simplified it to reduce manufacturing costs) to create the Riptide Fisherman. Whilst many parts between the Verity and Fisherman are interchangeable, the thing I like most about the Verity is that the power head remains in a fixed position, only the mid and lower sections turn when steering.

Incidentally, Speed also moved from the cast aluminium tank and cowl pictured to pressed steel. In addition, they also moved from manufacturing their own motors to using Villiers. Both changes occurred simultaneously between the years of 49 and 51 if memory serves correct.

Regards,
S
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Here you go. as purchased with wrong paint.

Stripped and being readied for restoration.

Stored and awaiting arrival of new rings (received last week).

My pressed copper tank & friends tank with original paint & decals. Note actual color is a really dark green, flash makes it appear much, much lighter. I know of a company who has copy of the artwork allowing reproduction of the original decals.

Friend also has an earlier model (recently donated to him) with cast aluminium tank.

We know of approx. 6 at this stage. No doubt there's more around the country, but god only knows where they are and who owns them.

Regards,
S
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Well well well, the forerunner to the riptide. Great pics and restoration as always, thanks. It's about time I fired up the riptide again.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Hugz wrote:Well well well, the forerunner to the riptide.
Yes indeed. Here you go Hugz: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 0421&hl=en

Regards,
S
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Good research. Len Sheltrum was quite the entrepreneur. Sounds like an earlier version of Richard Branson :shock:
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Some of us take our research as far as we can. Not sure if that’s a good thing because it occupies so much time and often leads to very little. However by sharing what we do find, we add a little our bit to the history, and that makes it all worthwhile.

As an example, I recently located Len’s son Barry J Sheltrum and conversed with him by email. Unfortunately as Barry was only approx aged 4 when Len started the Riptide Outboard Motor Company, his knowledge/recollection of the business was limited. That said, Barry was very generous with his time and was able to share with me some general information and documentation for which I am very grateful.

Barry is pictured along with mother and sister on the front cover of a Riptide brochure.

He now resides in Fiji and is General Manager of Mololo Cat http://malolocatfiji.com/about/history/

Another who doesn’t seem to mind taking the research as far as he possibly can is SOS member Notav8.

Notav8 has recently tracked down and conversed with Mr. Brian Cheras, founder of Cheras Industries, the QLD (Eagle farm) manufacturer of Cheras outboards. Other than the very brief mention of Cheras in the Australian section of “The Old Outboard Book”, there is very little known about these outboards.

Through this connection however, Notav8 will be able to gather and share information that would have otherwise not been available to collectors of Australian outboards. A great win for us all in my opinion.

Regards,
S
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Yep, a team effort.
notav8

Post by notav8 »

I have been in contact with Brian Cheras, and have been able to get some interesting information from him. I hope to show some photos, and other info, once I have his permission to do so.
I would be interested to hear from other people that have Cheras outboards.
Cheers,
M
notav8

Post by notav8 »

Hi All,
I have been in contact with Brian Cheras again. He generously allowed me to post some info on his outboards.
Cheras Industries started in 1951, and started making Outboards around 1955. Firstly, was a 3HP Air Cooled Hurricane Powered unit, and later, a fully enclosed 5HP water cooled Hurricane motor.
The Water Cooled Hurricane motors were made to Cheras Specifcations.
There is no specific number of outboards made by Cheras, but approx 5000 or so. The biggest majority were water cooled.
Also, in the mid fifties, a Jet unit was made. Numbers are low, probably only a few hundred. I believe these were fitted with Victa engines, but may also have had Hurricane engines.
It is very difficult getting info on Australian Made outboards, so I feel I have been lucky to be able to speak with, and meet somebody, who made Outboards from the 1950s.
Cheers