Coventry Victor

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Keith.P

Coventry Victor

Post by Keith.P »

I have been chatting to a man in the US about his Coventry Victor, Its the only other one I have seen complete with all brass fittings and the Amal 124 brass carburettor.
It was missing the tiller, so I sent him the information to make one, plus other information he wanted on the motor.
Then I got, please could you sent me a copy of the parts book and user manual, my answer was NO.
I don't know of anyone else that has both user and parts manuals, which also includes pull out pages for the MK2 CV which as far as I know, no one has seen, as I don't think it was ever made.
Then I think to myself he wants to restore this motor, the manuals will help a lot, so why not, then I spot the motor, he has already tried to sell it on EBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-Coventry- ... true&rt=nc

Am I a bit of a tight arse not letting a copy go to someone with the same motor, or is it that I won't feel so much of a plonker when it does go on sale again with a full set of copied manuals.

I remember a user on this site, long gone now, HELP, "I need a set of Anzani SS thumb screws", ME, I have a set of nice brass ones, ME, don't worry about the postage, off you go.
A week later the Anzani is on Ebay, with its new thumb screws, that's when you feel an Arse.
flyguy

Re: Coventry Victor

Post by flyguy »

that is my reason for not selling my 55 and just buying another 40- I got amazing help and parts sent, if it goes it will have to from here
1965 40 - 1990 55 - 1954 - Little Forty -1986 EF
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Interesting that he advertised it as a 1920s engine then described it as 1950s in the description! Unfortunately another Captain Cash-in individual by the looks of it.

It's a shame as personally I try to share any knowledge I have whenever possible, and would encourage everybody to do the same. That said it's annoying when you help somebody then the item appears on ebay like that.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I have two or three unrestored seagulls in my shed, they don't owe me much, plus I don't really want them, I would rather give them away to someone to use or restore, but as you can never tell, you just have to sit on them or sell them and have done with it.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Understand your concern Keith. The documentation adds to the sales value, and hence may be the motivation for requesting same. That said, it would ultimately end up with the new owner which may be a good thing.

Here's another CV that appears to be in complete and original condition. Don't know too much more about it other than it's owned by a collector in Australia.

Regards,
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

If you could see the rest of the picture, it states that it's a Coventry Victor 7hp, 1944 war time motor, more like 1950's I think, which only came as a 6 or 8hp in this version.
All steel fitting and aluminium carburettor on this one, its in Tasmania, I have already spoken to the owner, I know of two in Australia.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

You're on the ball Keith.

I've spoken to the owner a few times myself and am hoping to meet with him later in the year.

Regards
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

A-J had a wander over to see him and very nicely took some more photo's for me, hopefully he will be up and running soon.
Other than my one, I know of four complete motors, I don't know if they are runners, two in Oz, one in the US and one in a museum in Europe, but that has a bodged exhaust system, plus one or two other incomplete ones over here somewhere.