Ferrier 120 4hp

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Keith.P

Re: Ferrier 120 4hp

Post by Keith.P »

Well I had a play with a Ferrier over the weekend.
Rebuilt it and cleaned it up a little, I didn't do anything to the tank, as I have no idea what colour it should be.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Did it fire up ok Keith?
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

It tried to pull my arm off at one point, I had the ignition 180 degrees out, so I gave it up, I will have a play another day, no reason why it shouldn't go, once its setup properly. :roll:
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Hi Keith, looks good.

I think the tank colour is correct.

Do you have any more photos? I'd love to see some of the tank and bracket detail if possible. This arrangement would be a fall back position for me if I continue to luck out on sourcing a wrap around tank.

Thanks & regards,
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I have had it running. Out of the two coils, one was dead the other died after a short run, so I replaced the coil with a good one.
After a run, it will not restart, it kind of wants to kick back like the timings out, but its not, it will run if its left for a little time.
It pumps water, lots of water, so its not overheating, I will replace the points and maybe the carb and see if that helps.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I think I may have found the problem, I went to turn it over today and found it was locking up, aha gearbox, pulled of the gearbox, no, its still doing it, maybe it's the flywheel, removed the flywheel and found that the key had shattered, but it was still locking up, so it can only be one thing, the heart of the motor, the crank.
IMG_1108.JPG
Now its all in parts again, always the way, the problem seemed to be intermittent, Just lucky it only broke a key really, shame as it was the bast out of the two crank's I have, it also looks like its been like that for some time.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

What's caused that?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Tired crank, needs some expensive work!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Oyster 49 wrote:What's caused that?
Looks as though the shaft had a heavy knock sometime in the past......the bit sticking out has the same look as the rest of the crank.

Maybe pull the crank apart and start again?

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Is it pinned in place or just pressed?
If it is pressed you may get it to mve by heating the web (keep the heat away from the shaft) and wedge it back out. :idea:
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

It's Alive

Well, what a pain in the proverbial this motor was.
Whatever I did, it would try and pull your arm off, so I gave in and put it in the naughty corner for a week or so.
First problem, it kept losing its spark, one minute it worked, next minute it didn't, out comes the multimeter, I isolated the points and I get resistance with the points closed, good, also when they are open, bugger, not so good.
It worked out that, out of three sets of points, two showed earth leakage from the points base plate.
Well that's now fixed and the points are sorted and it has a nice fat spark, it should be easy to get running, you would have thought so, what the hell, the thing is still trying to pull my arm off.
By this time it was IT or me and IT was winning so far, so back to the basics, did I put it back together correctly, eh, yes, has it got the right ignition, eh, yes, its the same as a Pilot, or is it, yes it is, the key way is still in place, so what could it be, so lets see if the key way is the same on the other flywheel, no it bloody well isn't, not by much mind you, but enough.
I changed the flywheel and it started first pull, I suspect it was a Pilot flywheel, ok if you are going to have a fixed ignition, but useless on a variable ignition Ferrier.

JOB DONE.
Last edited by Keith.P on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Top work that man. Very pleased to see it worked out.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

So what did you do with the crank shaft?
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I changed over to the other crank and crank case, it works fine, so it looks like I'm only going to get one out of the two running and only having one original flywheel, its never going to be right anyway.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

This is interesting Keith.

My Ferrier doesn't have an advance facility, and it doesn't look like it's supposed to either. The ignition plate is fixed to the crank case with 2 screws, and hence cannot move. See pics below - upper crank case assembly and ignition plate bottom left.

What do we know about the various models available from Ferrier?

Thanks & Regards,
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com