Ferrier 120 4hp

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

AusAnzani

Ferrier 120 4hp

Post by AusAnzani »

As mentioned in the Ferriers on the Bay thread, I’m looking for a fuel tank with cap and fuel fitting for this one. If anyone can help with that, please send me a pm and we’ll go from there.

Wasn't looking to start restoring this one just yet, but sort of fell in whilst I was waiting for paint on the Stuart to dry. Anyway, model is as pictured in the advert below.

The Model/Serial Number are stamped on to a small plate (stainless?) that's fixed to the main transom bracket assembly as can be seen here;

As purchased. Classic case of looks can be deceiving. Had been stored outside. Water has entered around the flywheel nut into the magneto and the crank case. Rust formed in both causing engine to lock up.

A friends Ferrier (same model), just to give another view of the correct fuel tank arrangement for this particular model. seriously, If you have a tank that you would be willing to offload, irrespective of where you are, please send me a pm.

Lots of rust and corrosion on external parts ie with the exception of gearbox and water pump housing which are very tidy by comparison. MAP/Pro proved to be my best friend again. Every nut and bolt needed heat and lots of it applied before they could be freed up. That said I still managed to break one and had to drill out all 4 screws securing the rope pulley to the flywheel.

Engine components after approx. 6 hours work. All removed of rust and corrosion and looking pretty good bar the rings which were stuck in the piton grooves and become brittle from the rusting. Needless to say, both will be replaced.

Note surface rust on end of gudgeon pin.

Another 5 or 6 hours spent removing surface rust and corrosion from all the ignition components, honing and painting the barrel. Multimeter has gone MIA so I'm yet to test the coil and condenser.

All boxed up again now. Don't expect to do any more until next weekend.

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
AusOB_Collector

Re: Ferrier 120 4hp

Post by AusOB_Collector »

Hi S

It sure is coming along nicely and looks to me so far like a 100% improvement from the starting product!
I'll try and see if any of my other outboarding friends may have a lead on a tank and I'll let you know...

Have you tried Steve? He may have one upstairs.

Cheers
BP
Too many Seagulls to count now!

Member SOS, AOMCI,
President of AOMCI's WOOC chapter
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Talking about that other thread, this gives me something to look at when I have a go at my two 120's. :P
It's hard to know what's original and what's not on them, as its not easy to find examples of them.
My one's are both pretty much the same, other than the fuel tanks, both advance and retard ignitions. Well, ones had it lever knocked off, pretty easy to fix that and they seem to have similar parts to the Anzani pilot which is helpful.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

AusOB_Collector wrote:Hi S

It sure is coming along nicely and looks to me so far like a 100% improvement from the starting product!
I'll try and see if any of my other outboarding friends may have a lead on a tank and I'll let you know...

Have you tried Steve? He may have one upstairs.

Cheers
BP
Hi Boyd,

I regret not having taken photos of the parts before cleaning them up ie as before and after shots would have pup in to far better perspective the transformation that has taken place.

Thanks for offering to check then availability of a wrap around tank with your outboarding friends. I have my fingers crossed for a positive outcome with that.

I’m sure I asked Steve the question a while back, but will do again just in case I haven't already.

Thanks & regards,
S
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Keith.P wrote:Talking about that other thread, this gives me something to look at when I have a go at my two 120's. :P
It's hard to know what's original and what's not on them, as its not easy to find examples of them.
My one's are both pretty much the same, other than the fuel tanks, both advance and retard ignitions. Well, ones had it lever knocked off, pretty easy to fix that and they seem to have similar parts to the Anzani pilot which is helpful.
Hello Keith,

You’re right about limited examples, but they do turn up from time to time. As it happens there’s one attached to a timber boat advertised on Gumtree Australia at the moment. A reasonably well priced package in my opinion http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/churchil ... 1109518678

With regards to standard equipment, I can see that the carburetor and many of ignition components are same as those on an Anzani Pilot. The fuel tank is also of a similar style, but not quite the same.

As for the style of fuel tank, either wrap around or juice can, it is the barrel that gives the best clues as to what it should be. For example if the barrel casting comprises threaded holes for tank brackets, then a juice can tank is likely to be standard equipment for that outboard. If there are no threaded holes however, then it becomes clear a wrap around tank is original equipment.

I would love to see some photos of your Ferriers. If you could post them in this thread it would be much appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Early Ferrier, nice but a bit silly at that price. :lol:
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

It's an early 50's Seacub 120.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Hi Oyster and Charles, agree with you on both fronts.

Mine is also a Seacub according to B.

Re the one advertised on eBay in the above link, do the colors and decals seem right to you? Are they original?

Thanks & regards,
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

So if you drilled out the tank mount holes it would just be a standard 120?
I did pull apart my two motors, some little differences, crank bushes and seals and impeller water outlet pipe, maybe mods or repairs, I have not looked close enough yet.
One drive shaft is not playing ball at the moment and is still attached to the gearbox.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Keith.P wrote:So if you drilled out the tank mount holes it would just be a standard 120?
In the absence of anything to suggest otherwise, the only difference between the Fisherman and the Seacub is the tank. Therefore, my fall back position if I cant get a wrap around tank is to drill and tap the barrel, manufacture brackets and fit a juice can style tank similar to that on the original fisherman.

Would prefer wrap around though, so I'm not giving up just yet.

Regards,
S
Ferrier120

Post by Ferrier120 »

Hope you don’t mind me adding a few thoughts and observations.
I agree these are not common considering they are a fairly well put together motor.
Of the ones seen, those with the serial number stamped on an aluminium plate riveted to the transom bracket have all had a Cornwall address. I know the Ferrier was launched in 1950 and was still available up until at least 1964, during which time there had been several change of addresses, but have yet to find any reference to them in Cornwall. Is it right to assume, therefore, that Cornish built motors were after 1964?
The wrap around tank version was first known as the ‘120 Seacub’ but later outboard listings referred to it as the ‘Streamline 120’.
I own a Cornish built ‘Fisherman 120’ which is still in fairly original condition and is finished in a sort of royal blue.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

which time there had been several change of addresses
Was this change in manufacturing addresses or changes in dealers/suppliers addresses?
Ferrier120

Post by Ferrier120 »

Most of the addresses were for Ferrier Marine Ltd.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Ferrier120 wrote:Hope you don’t mind me adding a few thoughts and observations.
I agree these are not common considering they are a fairly well put together motor.
Of the ones seen, those with the serial number stamped on an aluminium plate riveted to the transom bracket have all had a Cornwall address. I know the Ferrier was launched in 1950 and was still available up until at least 1964, during which time there had been several change of addresses, but have yet to find any reference to them in Cornwall. Is it right to assume, therefore, that Cornish built motors were after 1964?
The wrap around tank version was first known as the ‘120 Seacub’ but later outboard listings referred to it as the ‘Streamline 120’.
I own a Cornish built ‘Fisherman 120’ which is still in fairly original condition and is finished in a sort of royal blue.
Great information. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
S