Ferrier 120 4hp

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Keith.P

Re: Ferrier 120 4hp

Post by Keith.P »

As your motor should have a wrap around tank I wouldn't think it would have, I can see your stator mounts directly to the top crank case.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Thank you Keith.

Regards,
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Ferrier120

Post by Ferrier120 »

I own two versions of the Ferrier Fisherman and cannot say for certain which is the oldest.
Firstly, the ‘blue’ motor in original condition was built in Cornwall as it has the label riveted to the transom bracket. Of the motors I’ve seen, only the Cornish motors have this label as the ‘red’ motor (not sure if colour is correct) has a slightly different bracket which will not allow a label to be fitted.
The obvious difference is the tank and bracket arrangement, whilst another difference is the foundry mark, the ‘blue’ motor has ‘BMC’ and the ‘red’ has ‘JHL’. Another observation which can only be seen if the motor is dismantled is to do with the waterpump casting. The drive tube is clamped in the split boss, which on the ‘blue’ motor is solid and the ‘red’ is chambered. On my example salt water had entered this chamber either via the crack at the end of pinch bolt slot or via a worn bush directly above the water impeller. Over time this chamber had filled up with salt deposits and gradually ate its’ way through the casting (as per photo).
Attachments
RIMG0051.JPG
RIMG0054.JPG
S2300008.JPG
RIMG0016.JPG
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I know that make, wrist breakers I would call them, yes I have one or two, The fun and games I had getting that running, well more games than fun really, I do wish the ignition was a simple fixed setup as it is pretty much just a Anzani pilot ignition system.
JHL, seen that on Anzani's castings also.

FILE253.JPG
FILE256.JPG
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Absolutely correct Keith, Magneto and Carburettor are same as that fitted to the Anzani Pilot outboards.

As for which is the correct tank design (wrap around or juice can), all one needs to do is have a look at the cylinder castings. If the protrusions intended for tank brackets are drilled and tapped, then the correct tank is the juice can style. If they are not drilled and tapped, then it becomes clear the outboard was delivered with a wrap around tank.

What also comes from this is which tank design came first. I would suggest that the presence of casting protrusions, indicates the wrap around style tank is the more recent. Of course, I can verify this.

Regards,
Spiro

PS: Now to see what's up with my photobucket account. it seems they want me to upgrade grrrrrr.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

It seems a lot of people are complaining about photobucket and are going elsewhere.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Yep, looks like they've changed their conditions of use. If you use their service to link images to 3rd party sites, you now have to pay them an annual fee of $99. This has come without advance warning and is excessive imho.

Unfortunately what it means is that every photo I have posted on here and any other forum is no longer visible. And because they're not visible on the forums, they will also no be visible on google. Needless to say, same will apply to others who use Photobucket.

So whilst we've put in all that effort over the years to show, to help educate, and to preserve some of our history, all is lost thanks to what seems to be no more than a grab for cash by photobucket.com. :evil:

Not happy!!!!!!!
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

PS: All over he internet, this is being referred as a Photobucket Ransom. Worth a search!

Sorry to hijack. Will start a new thread advising members in the General topics section.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Edit: Moved to new PB thread on General Topics.
Ferrier120

Post by Ferrier120 »

I would agree with Spiro in that only motors with 'juice can' tanks had the tapped holes in the protrusions. The company also produced the 240 model which was an 8hp horizontally opposed twin where most of the parts were common with the 120, including the cylinders, and these didn't have the protrusions threaded.

The Yachting Monthly magazine covered the launch of the Ferrier in 1950 with a picture of a motor with wrap around tank. Not sure when the 'juice can' version was introduced.
AdamJones

Post by AdamJones »

Hello guys I was lucky enough to get a Ferrier 120 recently put its missing the gearbox and drive shaft. Does anyone have any spares they might like to sell me
Adam
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

You stalking me Adam? Lol

Welcome abouts mate.

Regards
Spiro