British Anzani Minor help needed

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Nudge

British Anzani Minor help needed

Post by Nudge »

First time poster (From New Zealand) but I’ve restored several outboard engines in the past.
This being one of them Image

I’m wondering if anyone has any information on the British Anzani Minor engine.

I have been gifted an engine that over the years, has acquired some substitute parts. I’d like to get the engine back to it’s former glory but I’m finding that there is no information online.
I’m specifically interested in pics of the carburettor (substituted) and engine head (current one has been homemade by a previous owner). The engine has also come to me missing the coil.
Having enough pictures, or other information would mean that I can create a pattern & cast the required parts if none are available.

Nudge.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
kees

Re: British Anzani Minor help needed

Post by kees »

The first thing I can tell you, that this Minor is the first model ( has the black sign on the tank ) and that
model has NO carburator.
at least this is my first thought
Where do you come from btw ? UK ?
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Hi Kees,
I'm in New Zealand.
The carb that was on it when I got it was put on the end of the bit of bent copper pipe. I know that it is not the correct one because it just didn't fit! The throttle cable was clamped under the white bit of steel that is on top of the rusty looking steel disk. (Where I thought the carb is / was ment to be)

This engine seems to be not that popular!!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

What is with all of the older posts about this motor having no pics showing? That's just not fair!!!
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3597
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

When the forum was moved to another server it seems all the photos were lost :cry: Real shame that.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

When the forum was moved to another server it seems all the photos were lost :cry: Real shame that.
Your not wrong there!
There is a lot of value in some of the posts that will be lost without the pictures.

So far I have not been able to find anything about this outboard other than the parts will be as rear to find as rocking horse poo!

I hope someone can find some pics of one from somewhere (I don't seem to be able to find any on Google either)
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

I could not find the original pics I posted ages ago so will take some more indicative of your model.
It is on a front rack so should be easy to get to........

Hang.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Collector Inspector

OK

It was actually in the North East Corner Inner Rack.........

20150220_155420.jpg
20150220_155605.jpg
20150220_155928.jpg
B[/color]
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I understand the adminstrator is working his way through the broken links that cause the "missing pictures", perhaps if you contact him to explain what you would like to look at, he might be able move them up his list of jobs to do, rather than fixing things as he works through the entire forum database sorting problems.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

Well.....

Thanks for that Charles.

Maybe some information from the "Admin" should be forthcoming?

This missing pics "Thingy" has been mentioned many times but no one is really stressed about that.

I doubt that any request would be sorted as far too time consuming between individual and differing data base.

It is far easier to just do as above when someone asks a Q aye.

Nice of your attention.

Just a Thought.

B
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Thanks Collector Inspector,

That is very interesting looking. Would it be asking too much to get some more pics of the head and that carb. Im guessing that it would be near impossible to get a carb off the shelf.
I am into metal casting (as part of the hobby) so with a few measurements and pics I will be able to make a better looking head than the one that I have.
Now that carb, That is different! Is it a carb or more of a needle valve?
I have had a good look on the net, so far I've come up with very little. You have shown me more with 3 pics than I have been able to find. Thank you very much.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Collector Inspector

How about I lend you the pattern so you can cast your own head?

There is a jig for sparkplug drilling @ 14mm tapping size as well. I think it is 120 Degrees................Clamps into drill press.

DSC04550.JPG
DSC04551.JPG
Working pattern is on the left.

Important before you consider that offer you have to see if there is anything left of the mating surface of the barrel. The head "Land". If it is corroded from within and thin.................there is no point.

A problem area to consider. What looks OK on the surface may not be useable.

This one has corrosion under the Land so no "Meat" for clamping.

It does "run" but not for actual use.
DSC04754.JPG
The "Carb" is an air valve/mixer. See the pic with reading instructions on the front plate then everything will be clear.

More pics aye?

B[/color]
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I would love to take you up on the offer!
I don't plan on using this outboard as an every day thing, but I do like my engines to run! (and look the part)
This is what I saw as I took the head off

I didn't need to clean up a thing!! I am guessing that the old guy that gave me the engine (or someone before him) took the engine apart to fix it up and never quite got there.
The hole on the right hand side in the pic will need to be fixed up a bit the other two have been tapped with 1/4" - 20 UNC (I would thought the thread should have been BSW)

You don't have a spare carb in the back corner do you? No! ok I will have to make that too!!!

Pictures tell 1000 words, the more pic's the better!!!!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Shed looks good B 8)

You've been a busy boy.
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

Just a few things from me - see if the y make sense! On my Minors, which are Mk ll's, the carb. inlet is on the port side of the motor, and is a 'U' shaped casting bolted to the to of the cylinder, and terminating in a vertical position with a flange. A proprietary little Amal carb. is bolted to this flange - this carb was fitted to lawn mowers of the day, but having a bottom entry fuel feed.

Your aluminium part of the carb intake looks original, but just fitted to the wrong side of the cylinder!

The carb has no speed control , - speed being regulated by an advance and retard lever mounted on the magneto stator plate.
The little aluminium saddle bracket on your petrol tank is where a choke lever and cable were fitted, which was routed around the flywheel in a rigid aluminium tube.
To my knowledge , there is no information available for these motors - would be nice at least to find a way to date them for instance (as in year of manufacture - not take them to dinner) -- Rick