seabee minor restoration

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

RonG

seabee minor restoration

Post by RonG »

I am restoring a seabee minor that has been stood for about 15 years.Its coming along really well and I have had it running .I am in the process of stripping it down and trying to bring it back to its original condition and hope to post some pictures in about a month.Has anyone got a manual for this engine please.It is the early JAP model that is really worthy of restoration.Thanks in anticipation.
Keith.P

Re: seabee minor restoration

Post by Keith.P »

The manual will only give you the basics, like points .018 to .020" and the spark plug gap of 0.25".
The flywheel has no key-way, so mark it up before you pull it off, its pretty easy stuff.
I have one or more myself.
Still looking for a thumb screw, but not the plastic one.
RonG

Post by RonG »

Thanks for the advice Keith.Unfortunately I removed the flywheel about a week ago without marking it up.I had some difficulty timing it as I was not sure of the setting so it was trial and error for a while.It seems to fire Ok at about 20degrees before tdc.Is that about right?I was initially not getting a spark hence the flywheel removal but turning the engine over with an electric drill for a few minutes with the piston lubricated seems to have fixed it.
There appears to be a grub screw at the bottom of the leg.Should this be removed and a grease nipple fitted to grease the gearing.Also is it ok to use white waterproof grease in the gears and is there any way to grease the top of the shaft that runs down the leg.You obviously are very familiar with these engines so any advice would be very much appreciated as I am sure you can see that I am very new to this
Thanks
Ron
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The thing is, not all seabee's are seabee's, so i'm not a hundred percent sure what you have, a picture may help with that.
It will be a sealed gearbox, so it will not let in water, if you are going to use it regularly then I would put in some marine gear grease.
Grease the top of the drive shaft!
The top of the drive tube runs in the exhaust tube so grease would not help anything, plus the exhaust is semi water cooled by the impeller half way up the leg, so any lubrication will wash out.
The bottom engine crank bearing seal in also in the exhaust tract, so can suffer, not the best design.
Timing, set piston to 25 degrees BTDC, place on flywheel turn wheel till point just open and lock down wheel.
RonG

Post by RonG »

I am not too good on computers Keith but hopefully I have attached a photo of the engine without its cowl , tank and pull start.I am not aware that it has an impeller as it is not water cooled and it has a side mounted cylindrical exhaust.When I got it about 15 years ago it had a yellow and black seabee transfer on the front of the cowl
Attachments
20141119_111808.jpg
RonG

Post by RonG »

Another photo Keith, if it helps. Regards, Ron
RonG

Post by RonG »

Oops tried again!
Attachments
20141119_111727.jpg
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I know the one, my one is a mk2, with water cooled exhaust, unbolt the engine from the leg if you wish to grease the drive, it looks in nice condition for its age.
RonG

Post by RonG »

Thanks Keith.
It looked very different a week ago.Ive just resprayed that bit.The other parts are stripped down in the garage for spraying off white.Some stuff is at the chromers/polishers.I really think it deserves a proper restoration and I might need some more advice if thats ok.Can you advise about the grub screw I mentioned.Will post pictures when its done
Regards
Ron
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

What was the original colour, as they are either blue are gold, well not exactly gold a 50:50 mix of hammerite gold and bronze, anyway about the grub screw, I have one, its not a seabee, but has the same parts, that has a grease nipple, but not on the seabee, you had better put a picture up first.
RonG

Post by RonG »

It was the gold colour but I painted it dark blue 15 years ago .I think this model was gold rather than the gold/bronze mix that I am familiar with.I will post a better photo when I get home tonight but you can actually see the small grub screw that looks like a little hole at the top of the gear housing on the second photo I posted.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

From what I have seen on others it had a bolt in that hole, it looks a little hight for a gear grease hole, looks to be above the pinion bush, if it goes all the way in then you could use a nipple, as long as it don't let anything else in, or just put in a little grease and plug it.
RonG

Post by RonG »

If you look at the photo again there is also a bolt( at 90 degees to the little hole )which can be seen just under the cavitation plate.Not sure what that is for either Keith
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The hole under the cavitation plate looks like a drain plug, if you use a grease nipple and fill with grease, the grease may hold the water,if any, above that drain plug, I would put a spot of grease in the hole and and plug it.
RonG

Post by RonG »

Thanks for the advice Keith.I will do that
Regards
Ron