Spanish "Seagull"!!!

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Stelios_Rjk

Spanish "Seagull"!!!

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Hi guys,

I meet a guy today. He had a "Seagull" and wanted to have a look at it as it wasn't working. It worked for 2hours aprox and then she refused. After a couple of hours of examination my diagnosis is that the main bushes are "eaten" because of a dumb advice of an engineer. He did a service and suggested to run the engine on 2% oil in the mixture. The engine still has compression (90) but it also has some free play on the top bush, I didn't examine the bottom one. I swapped the carb for the a villiers but in vain. The coil gives a great big spark and has 5Kohms resistance. But to my understanding fuel isn't reaching the bore. The guy was too desperate to have it fixed that he offered me to keep it plus some money to give him a forty plus. But it wasn't a deal I would like to follow. So if anyone sees something that he likes feel free to submit an offer that I will pass it to him.

The critical question is, is there any chance to be used the same bushes as on Seagulls? The dome nut has bigger size threads..

In any case it was an experience to me. Not the best as the engine doesn't seem to work but it was very interesting to discover that it wasn't a Seagull with a a weird type of magneto fitted , but a copy of a Seagull.

The leg is identical to the forty plus type.

I hope you 'll enjoy the pictures.

I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
phil

Re: Spanish "Seagull"!!!

Post by phil »

That is interesting Stelios, any photos of the fuel tank? It looks something like a 40 with an Amal carb. Any idea of its age?
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

That must be rare, I Googled it and there was nothing.

H-A
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Montessa late 60's early 70's

Good ignition Seagull looked at using them on the QBs but too expensive.

The 102cc version had Seagull sourced parts like the Olympic.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

There was no fuel tank, it was missing and replaced with a plastic one maybe from a yamaha. The carb is Amal twin jet and I found on the site that the original was a dellorto.
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I would definitely grab it if I was you. You may never see another one and will regret it later on. Forms part of the complex history of seagulls, besides if you do find another this one may have the parts that you need. The Australian Olympic is fairly common in comparison. It is part of our collective responsibility to capture these anomalies.

Anyone have the Latin American one or is this related?

Would look good on the Main SOS site.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Similar parts in the same places but not the same, crankcase with vertical join but bronze main bearings.

CDI ignition looks like a big orange doughnut.

I've only worked on the 102cc version similar rough finish, Montessa built realy good bikes, this looks like a could try harder.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

:)

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others