Another Mallard

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Collector Inspector

Another Mallard

Post by Collector Inspector »

Thanks to the heads up from Spiro I did a road trip today South of Perth. Bloody cold and no sun at all. A nice drive in my Fairmont that has not been out of the carport for...........4 months?

The seller on Gumtree wanted $100.00. Quick check mechanically and deal done!

It was his father's bought new in 1958 locally here.

This is how I got it back home to Perth. Solid little motor that has been kept going all those years.

20140629_135401.jpg
20140629_135455.jpg
20140629_135519.jpg
It is the smallest CC that they made. Great compression and a rather brute tickle on the spark plug lead when turned over. Mechanically I see no reason why it should not be a user.

Now, my thorts as of now is to actually keep it as it is because it has lasted so bloody long just waiting for an interested owner...................ME!

The only things I will change to original is the prop and tank mount position. The prop on it is from a MKII or similar Jap. Tank bracket moved forward again no problem.
20140629_153225.jpg
I like it as it is as just adds to what collecting "Old Peoples Outboards" is all about.

I have all sorts of parts to get it back to original but this time absolutely NO Way!

Zoom into the fuel tap......................I can not change even that!

Cheers

B[/color]
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusAnzani

Re: Another Mallard

Post by AusAnzani »

Wow, the pics and description in the advert certainly did not do this any justice whatsoever.

I am pleased you've been able to add this to your collection mate and that I've been able to play a small part in its rescue. :mrgreen:

As you've quite rightly said, just a quick tidy up and leave all else as is. No spanners or any other intervention needed.

Awesome!
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I've got one just like that for restoration, which I'm keeping despite my clear out. I see you have the later larger poppet valve? Same as mine. I like the mallards, nice little engines, a bit of a pocket rocket, quite revvy! Not sure if that translates into thrust though :shock:

I quite like the idea of an alloy water jacket around the cast iron liner, a lot less weight.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Fuel tank should be just over 3.5" diameter 7.75" long with a central ally cap with screw vent, never seen one that had straps over the top before, late ones had tubular tillers, early ones cast tiller & side fuel feed poppets, all had chromed looped fuel pipes like FV's.
That one is the 1 hp 34cc version, 35 x 35mm, it it looks like the right prop but not a good picture, engine number should be above 5000.
The 1.5 hp 54cc had a 3 bladed prop that almost went to a point , conventional carb, 2 screw transom bracket, with a pressed steel tank & a removable cylinder head.
Not built by Mallard but designed by C. H. Haley for them & built to their spec by Coventry Apex..
1 hp ones were sold here between 50 & late 54/55.

I wouldn't think Oz is overflowing with those, nice one.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

The UK is not overflowing with them either, quite a rare and quirky little engine. I like em 8) Worth snapping up if one comes up. However absolutely no spares available :(
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I have some spare 55cc props, which I'd gladly swop for a fuel tank, Mallard or Apex.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

These Mallards use H.Miller igntions, which are very reliable anyway, but also used on British Anzani Pilots if spares are ever needed.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I've only seen two or three of those for sale in the UK in recent years, so well worth buying if one comes up. Alloy water jacket too, so less problems than early seagulls. Those poppet valves seem a bit of a fiddle though.
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

The poppet valve are fine once cleaned out - by cleaned out I mean the fine hole in the valve seat which allows fuel to enter from the rear chamber. They do seem sensitive to amount of fuel flow , regulated y theside lever though once balanced, all is usually well.
Quick way to stop the motor (don't know if it was the approved way) is by lifting the valve spindle which protrudes from the bottom of the carb. body.