Anzani Pilot Resto

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Hugz

Re: Anzani Pilot Resto

Post by Hugz »

Both of mine are single screw. I believe the later ones had two. I'm after two Anzani thumbscrew captive washers. Two of the 4 clasps have broken off and the other is completely missing. I could adapt a seagull one but then it wouldn't be original.

Droool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cgZmxtyO4o
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The earlier ones had the single clamp, the tank cap moved around on the tank the latest was steal , two different type carbs and and had about three different style decals.
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Thanks for the link Hugz, that cycle car is absolutely awesome. I just love the note of the engine.

And in case anyone was wondering, more filing sanding for me today. Yippy :roll:

The other half of the transom bracket. Not quite there yet, but getting close.

Any advice or ideas on how to get to those hard to reach areas would be greatly appreciated.
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Keith.P wrote:The earlier ones had the single clamp, the tank cap moved around on the tank the latest was steal , two different type carbs and and had about three different style decals.
I've seen the two different carbs and the three different style of decals but as information on these seems to be limited I haven''t been able to match those against year range and hp. Not sure if you've noticed but there are also three different head types also.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Yes, I probably have all three types, are you going to use the wing style decal, like H-A's motor.
I did have a play, but I'm not very good at this type of thing, plus can't be bothered to Finnish it. :D
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Thanks for that Keith. I think I'll stay with the wing style decal as it's the original for my motor. If you take a look at the very first pics I posted in this thread, you can just make it out.

The manual that is downloadable from the net appears to be for the Mark IV Pilot which is more recent than mine. The Mark IV uses a Zenith carb, where as mine has an AMAL carb. I haven't been able to find any identification numbers on mine and of course this is making it difficult to track down a gasket kit, if one exists at all.

The manual also doesn't assist with the material and thickness of all the other gaskets eg gear and water pump housing, cylinder base and head gasket, and crankcase gasket. If anyone can help with that sort of information, it would be really appreciated.

Thanks again & regards,
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Sadly all of the Pilot info have just the Zenith Carbs mentioned. I have looked for Amal for years in printed form.

Even the later ones that I have all have an Amal........................go figure that then?

What do you wish to know about an Amal?

They are very straight forward but ask if you want.

Cheers

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Collector Inspector wrote:Sadly all of the Pilot info have just the Zenith Carbs mentioned. I have looked for Amal for years in printed form.

Even the later ones that I have all have an Amal........................go figure that then?

What do you wish to know about an Amal?

They are very straight forward but ask if you want.

Cheers

B
As for the carb, I just wanted to know model number to help track down gasket kit IF one even exists.

With regards to the other gaskets however, the type and thickness of material to make them from would be helpful.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

The carbs used for all is model 359.

No gaskets for the carb except for the banjo fuel fitting.

Head gasket I used steam flange gasket 0.090" approx

The base gasket I used Oil Gasket Paper 0.032" approx

Spray Hylomar on both. See my Youtube vid above.

Hope this helps

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Thanks for that CI.

Mate, I think I watched just about every vid relating to Anzani Pilots before registering here. I used the vid you referring to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRuMQd5Xb60 as a bit of an educational tool before commencing the tear down of mine. Great job by the way. The silver paint you used was perfect, and I love the chrome plated (presumably) hand rail, but unfortunately there was no mention of gasket thickness there.

Did you ever make any decals for it?
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Having a hard time getting the aluminium parts up to the standard I was hoping for. The castings were terrible and the aluminium itself very porous. Sand to get rid of pitting, just to find more :cry:

Also as I have never polished aluminium (or any other metal before) before, I'm learning heaps along the way. All thanks to practice and a little help from my buddies, Google and Youtube :D

Here's where I'm at right now. Some parts (like the swinging bracket) will be re-sanded and polished again.

The trunk was a sad state of affairs to say the least. It's actually looking pretty good now.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Regards,
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Looking good, I will get you those pictures of the tank decals.

H-A
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Thanks for the kind words.

A little bit more today. None of the parts shown are finished. Need to buy some smaller polishing pads for those hard to get at areas.

Lack of the right tools makes this kind of work very time consuming.

Regards,
mark56

Post by mark56 »

hi how did you manage to renew the exhaust I have a pilot and cant see how it comes apart. :?
If you can provide any info regards mark.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Have a look a the first pictures an this post, its pretty much self explanatory.