Anzani Super Single question

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Stickery

Anzani Super Single question

Post by Stickery »

Hi all,
I have just acquired a Super Single in really good condition but as yet have not started it. I understand about it not being able to pump water around if its aerated but does this completely rule out running it in a tank/wheelie bin ? I'd like to fire it up at home, where i have all my tools to hand, and i am thinking that with a big enough vessel the water would not become aerated. i don't want to kill it though.Has anybody run one of these in a tank? Is there a minimum amount of clearance needed to ensure a good flow of water? Also to stop the motor again is it just a case of throttling right back or cutting the fuel to stall it ? Thanks in advance.
Keith.P

Re: Anzani Super Single question

Post by Keith.P »

On the super single is not so much the aeration of the water, its more of the fact that this motor has no water pump and needs to run though the water to pump right.
Stopping the motor, throttling back, if its setup right or choke if not.
Last edited by Keith.P on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Never seen one in the flesh and even after looking at some pics I have idea where the water intake/exit are located but I suspect that you could plumb water to it via the inlet ot outlet and thus run it at the shop?
Worth looking into as finding a garden hose with fresh water is a bit easier then finding a fresh water lake after a day on the salt chuck.
lakeviewlad

Post by lakeviewlad »

You can safely start the motor in a barrel or bin for 30 seconds or so. You could undo the inlet pipe and rig up a rubber connection to a garden hose also. As for stopping,if cable is adjusted correctly the engine will stop when throttle is fully closed,if not,have a screwdriver handy to short the plug off the head! :) Remember the SS is direct drive,so high revs in a barrell=SPLASH! :oops:
Remember,dust and dirt are the enemies of all moving parts...keep your motor clean and it will repay you!
Stickery

Post by Stickery »

Thanks for the responses. I don't really want to disconnect the water pipes if i don't need to but if i can fire it up in a barrel just to see if it fires then great.

D Doyle - the intakes are a line of half a dozen or so holes on the front of the shaft, outlets are in the rear of each prop blade !

Draining the old fuel out tonight and hopefully have a test fire tomorrow morning. I will try and post some pics as this is one of the tidiest singles i've seen.

Thanks again all.
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

RE screwdriver stopping method: Is shorting an ungrounded engine a no no for all engines or just some? I have a manual here for some engine or another that says never use the kill switch when running in a test tank.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

You should not really short the HT side out. Two reasons, it may hurt a lot if you slip and it may hurt a lot if stray voltage wants to track somewhere else while revving down. Best shorting the points by a cunningly installed wire to ground.

You can make up a flush adapter that clips on yes on the front holes of the gearbox. I have thought that zip ties would hold it on. Never got around to it yet.

You can undo the cooling line at the top of the gearbox/leg adapter. Make sure that when doing up again that there are NO air leaks at the unions. Air leaks means no coolant flow on a transom.

This may help in making a choice.

Cheers

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Stickery

Post by Stickery »

Well, the test firing was a no fire.
Water in the cylinder :( At least i know the water is getting up to the engine. Guessing head gasket, but that is a guess. Looking for any hints/tips before i dismantle anything. Never worked on an outboard before.
Also anybody know if theres a stockpile of Anzani gaskets somewhere. A quick interweb search suggests i will be making any gaskets i need.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Gasket's do come up on Ebay every so often, but your probably better off making one, It's a pretty basic motor to work on.
I still have some parts about if needed.
Stickery

Post by Stickery »

Result! Took the head off, cleaned and dried everything. Waterways were badly blocked and head gasket is damaged slightly but while I was moving it I noticed a trail of water from the inlet port. Took the bottom off the carb and very watery. Blasted carb with WD40,reassembled and it fired and ran. Still leaking at the head gasket and throttle needs adjusting but that seems to be it. Itsquite a sturdy gasket. Can you buy sheets of that stuff? Or what's a good alternative?
Hopefully not going to need to replace anything but thanks for the offer of parts, Keith.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

A Good Work in progress Aye.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Stickery

Post by Stickery »

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/1r3pk38l2jcs8od/wZGXuFNZsa
This is my first attempt at linking photos to a forum and I'm doing it on my phone so I hope this works.
Stickery

Post by Stickery »

Head gasket completed. Cleaning threads and reassembling tomorrow.With a fair wind it'll be pushing a boat this weekend.http://db.tt/w0UweDB7
Stickery

Post by Stickery »

Yay, its a runner. Fired up, ran for 30 seconds or so. Throttled up nice and smooth and stopped nicely on throttling right back. Not going to be 100% convinced its cooling til i get it on a vessel, in open water, and Mrs.Stickery is indicating that i may be too busy for playing with boats this weekend. Very happy at the moment though. Thanks for all the advice and tips. It's confidence building to know there are people i can ask questions of. Definately going to be keeping an eye out for another Super Single.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Another one! :o :shock: :o