British Anzani Class B Racer

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

Re: British Anzani Class B Racer

Post by Oyster 49 »

What sort of HP will the anzani push out?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

If you can find a Hydro they're not expensive & they're small enough to hang from a garage ceiling. I've had 2 both for less than £100 each, they're no use for anything else, go & ask the guys in the boat bits shops closest to where they were raced, I bet they know someone who had one & they might know who might have one.

HP figures were never given even on the sales blurb, but the class B was probably between 25 & 30 hp at 6000 revs as it left the factory, but after the owner tuned it to run on alcohol at 9000 it would have been well on it's way to 75hp.

I belive the Americans insisted they had to be run in the alcohol classes as the pump gas version was too fast for their locally manufactured race motors as the Anzani was both rotary valved & piston ported & looped charged.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Some good info on Anzani racing engines here:

http://www.cmba-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=95
Danielking

Post by Danielking »

Hi all anzani enthusiasts thought id share a picture of my mk11 class b racer
Attachments
image.jpg
lakeviewlad

Post by lakeviewlad »

Danielking wrote:Hi all anzani enthusiasts thought id share a picture of my mk11 class b racer
Nice looking rig. Do you use it much? I am preparing my 1968 hydro for the water after a "dry spell" of over ten years...I have a MK1 and MK11 Anzani and a "normal" Unitwin which runs very well also. :D
Remember,dust and dirt are the enemies of all moving parts...keep your motor clean and it will repay you!
Danielking

Post by Danielking »

Cheers, not long got her going to put it on my 1950's hydro when I've finished restoring the boat, I have a unitwin 15 also in immaculate original condition. I'm looking for a piston for the racer doesn't matter what condition I'm going to machine up some for spares if you ever find one or no of one I can copy give me shout. All the best Dan
Danielking

Post by Danielking »

Clean gearbox after an hours polishing
Attachments
image.jpg
Danielking

Post by Danielking »

Streamline
Attachments
image.jpg
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

That gearbox is a real thing of beauty. Great to see it being cherished. 8)
lakeviewlad

Post by lakeviewlad »

Good job,you have her in fine shape. Is there any possibility of a video of it running? I filled my MK1 with water and gave it a quick blast a while back,it's on youtube! :D
Remember,dust and dirt are the enemies of all moving parts...keep your motor clean and it will repay you!
Danielking

Post by Danielking »

Cheers, I will do a video of her running when I get the time. I have seen your video sounds good just have to make sure the centre main bearing is well lubed before running as it's a bronze bush they can get dry from sitting still.
Danielking

Post by Danielking »

More cleaning to the anzani she's looking good
Attachments
image.jpg
lakeviewlad

Post by lakeviewlad »

Where's me shades? :lol: She will look well when ye get her out on the hydro,glistening in the dawn light as it roars past on the still water... :cry: I'm filling up here mate...God these are fine looking motors! Wish I had the patience to polish mine up.It's a credit to you. :D
Danielking

Post by Danielking »

Haha, gotta look after her keep her clean. Autosol and a toothbrush is the best way mate and a little patience. Just about to start making a new exhaust for the old girl out of 316. Should finish her off nicely, I'm hoping to finish the hydro over Christmas so I can go for a blast :)
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

316 is prone to be fracture around welds, there will be some strong pulses in that exhaust, use mild steel until you've got everything right.

I know the man who built that motor, he builds them to perform & does a very good job of it!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.