2nd Australian British Seagull National Gathering

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

croweater

2nd Australian British Seagull National Gathering

Post by croweater »

Here's a few photos from the Oz Nationals that were held at Clayton Bay South Australia on the 19th - 20th February

There were 10 boats 22 people that came from most mainland states plus 1 visitor from NZ and over 40 motors (lost count)
events were based at the Clayton Bay Yacht Club.

On Wednesday night a bbq at one of the members houses got the show underway.
croweater

Re: 2nd Australian British Seagull National Gathering

Post by croweater »

On Thursday first run was a short cruise around Goose and Goat Islands leaving the Yacht Club we headed upstream past Clayton's Cliffs

turned into Snug Cove then cruised through Dunn Lagoon hundreds of birds took flight as the Seagulls approached (they are a noisy bird).

After passing through a narrow channel we rafted up, while we waited for the slower boats then headed across to the Murray River channel
then cruised back to Clayton Bay.

croweater

Post by croweater »

Lunch was at Sails restaurant in the afternoon most headed for shade as the temp was in the high 30's

Tea was at the Historic Milang Hotel

Last edited by croweater on Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
croweater

Post by croweater »

Friday started with some prop testing

Followed by a run to Wally's Landing on the Finniss River a longer run that was a challenge for the small dinghies

Several prop springs were broken and a couple of boats ended up in the reed banks all made it to the Landing and returned.

With the thermometer reaching to the high 30's the entrants fared worse than the motors tuff day if you had no shade.

Firidays activities finished with a bbq at the yacht club.
Last edited by croweater on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
croweater

Post by croweater »

Some of the entrants participated in the Goolwa Wooden Boat Festival the two Queenslanders entered the ruff & ready
competition building a boat in two hours on Saturday (40deg.) then racing their boat on Sunday and finishing 3rd.
top effort as their combined is around 155 years (a guess it might be more).

A bbq at one of the members water front home in Goolwa finished the gathering all are looking forward to the next
one on the east coast somewhere.

John
phil

Post by phil »

Thanks for posting the great photos! Nice to see someplace where it's not -10-20c most of the time, plus almost 3' of snow on the ground.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

What an excellent day, its great to see so many getting together and running the motors in a way that evolves so many, I regret the lost opportunity of making the long trip.

However,I would love to get something akin in Tasmania, there are many SG collectors and owners here and there are also many places that would provide safe picturesque venues. at Franklin on the Huon river for instance.

Any one from Tassi watching this and interested?

AJ
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

We did have an engineer from Tassie that posted regularly... Taspiper was his pseudonym . Haven't heard from him for a while. Didn't Mark organise something at the wooden boat festival your way a few years ago? Ahh, here you go: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3420&p=24381&hilit=tasmania#p24381

Great pics CE. East coast you say next year...
croweater

Post by croweater »

I think the Tassie guys tried to organise something at the Wooden Boat Festival I think the main reason it didn't go ahead was costs
we had similar issues at Goolwa got around it by displaying just the boat with a few extras. I had to insure the boat just to display
it cost more than my ole BSA and Morris that are insured for $18,000.00.

I have just suggested the East Coast next year or the year after already talk about the Shoalhaven area NSW and Gippsland area in Victoria.
Get that dinghy ready hugz its to nice too leave aloan we got a lot of interest in the Gulls at Goolwa and you have a good time.

Weather let us down this year it was Bloody hot and I'm used to it.

John
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Seems to me that having a meet (or moot as the vikings call it) at a festival has its problems. But then it does have a collective audience. Just mucking around at Myall river was fun. Easy parking and camping

Shoalhaven is close to me. I'm not a great traveler. There is a traditional boat festival in Narooma NSW East Coast in November. http://naroomaboatsafloat.com/ Just a thought. Did you ever get your seagull inboard working? I was fascinated by that.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Double post.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

I agree the Tassi wooden boat festible is not the right venue, to start with its in the centre of Hobart which hardly constitutes a good venue for motoring around, also there are thousands of visitors about. What we need here is a location away from the madding crowds, with a good river, a place to launch, a tie up, enjoy a drink and of course take a trip on the water.

Perhaps there just isn't enough interested parties down here, funnily enough I know of no one else that takes Gull out on the water although I do know of a couple who have static collections. Guess I shall have to get my self interstate..........

AJ
croweater

Post by croweater »

Hugz, "Did you ever get your seagull inboard working? I was fascinated by that.".......Had forgotten all about it
she's buried in the shed was thinking about getting rid of the boat

Adrian, "Tassi wooden boat festible is not the right venue"....... Could be before or after the festival with a day break
between events.

John
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

croweater wrote:Hugz, "Did you ever get your seagull inboard working? I was fascinated by that.".......Had forgotten all about it
she's buried in the shed was thinking about getting rid of the boat
Noooo....
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

[attachment=0]24feb2015 368.JPG[/attachment]The odd motor did interest some people ...
Attachments
24feb2015 368.JPG