The Second Bruny Classic

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Adrian Dale

The Second Bruny Classic

Post by Adrian Dale »

At the risk of boring every one; we will be testing a new engine on thursday, a Silver Century, attached to a Huon Pine 14 ft Dingy. We have a new support vessel the "Good Intent" and will be planning for a quick retry before the weather heads north with the fast approaching winter. Charles should approve!

AJ
Hugz

Re: The Second Bruny Classic

Post by Hugz »

Nothing boring about your adventures. Good luck. I should send my curlew down to you.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Adrian Dale wrote: Silver Century, attached to a Huon Pine 14 ft Dingy.
Sounds like a better combination, if the dinghy is light, you should do 7 or 8 MPH.

That will cut the journey time in half, "Bon Voyage" keep posting the vids and pics.

H-A
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

There's no stopping you is there A-J

Intrepid southern ocean daredevil!
I'm watching (and learning) from afar

ANYTHING BUT BORING

just wish i was there with you (as do many of us on here i'm sure)

jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Carvel or Clinker?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

Talk about the old man and the seagull. is there no stopping him.

I'm jealous, of all your fun, so please enjoy it just a bit more for me and the rest of us who wish we were coming along to.

Have safe trip.

8) 8) 8) 8)
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
truant

Post by truant »

you must be a tiger for punishment Adrian, but your average speed should rise. Just make sure you have enough buoyancy to support a soggy Adrian and a bedraggled seagull. Best wishes, Garry, ex Hobart Wooden Boat Show.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Good stuff.. today was the test day for the next attempt. new boat, a 14ft Huon Pine, clinker built 1943 dingy complete with the original wet well. Todays weather forecast was for 30 to 40 knot winds with a strong wind warning in place.. Ideal to do a bit of serious testing.

Set up the dingy with the LLS and tested on all points of the wind/sea. Although a lot of spray came on-board the dingy rose easily over the breaking seas and the gull remained well clear of the sea even in following seas. Our speed was between 5 to 7 knots (down wind)

The intention is to use a1979 WSPC as the main engine with the LLS as the backup. Unable to test the WS today as it is undergoing a rebuild to ensure all is in order. needs a gear box rebuild but other than some tidy up and re-bolting and seizing, all looks good. hour test in drum developed no faults.

Couple of posts of the boat and engine really looks like a good period fit.

AJ
Attachments
ominous weather perfect for testing
ominous weather perfect for testing
71 years young same as me
71 years young same as me
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Good looking boat you have there A-J
just one little thing though,you might want to get rid of the transom mount currently fitted as it's for a smaller 40 series motor. (dont want the motor coming adrift from the boat whilst out on the briney)

Good combination which should work a bit better than last time for sure.
Best of luck with it

(now very jealous of you clinker) BEAUTIFULL

jon
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Good point re bracket though that is the back up LLS I believe. Never heard of a wet well before but after googling I realise it is for fish with a flow of water passing through it from an inlet and outlet below water level... am I correct? I trust a line out the back wouldn't slow you down too much. Great boat!

Must scarf a few planks and fit: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1888&p=32570&hilit=vessel#p32570 Wow pictures are still there.. cool! Perhaps if I ever fix it I can join you.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Correct Hugz, the wet well is a box situated amidships which is raised to the height of gunnels. Holes are then placed through the hull to allow a free flow of water. The box and water also provide additional stability as the holes being small do not allow the water to drain out quickly thus having the partial effect of internal ballasted.
Unfortunately the boat is not mine, it belongs to Richard Bennet (Renown Sydney Hobart Photographer) and was his grandfathers boat. He has been fishing in it since a small boy. It was originally fitted with a Stuart Turner 3HP inboard.

Trip planned for week of 16th March, Weather window is a bit wider with the current boat!!!!!

AJ
Attachments
The WS as found. Its been stripped and rebuilding is current. note the bracket
The WS as found. Its been stripped and rebuilding is current. note the bracket
A wet box on an early sailing fishing boat
A wet box on an early sailing fishing boat
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

weather for March 17th looks promising with 8kn southerly's changing to northerly's later in the day. Swells are up from previous high winds but manageable at 3 meters.

The Start point will be the Alonnah Jetty at 0500 we can expect a low moon to assist with the set off time.

With a direct track to Partridge Island it means a slightly reduced distance of 70NM

Target speed 4.5 Knots average, optimistically giving an estimated finish at Alonnah at 2100 hrs .

We always knew we will have a bit of night travel but the channel has good navigation lights and is well known to us, both day and night so that is not an issue.

Overhaul of the WSPC is completed as has static testing. A long sea trial is scheduled for later in the week

Re the LLS transom mount pointed out by Jon; it has been changed and will be interchangeable with the WSPC mount that will be fixed permanently to the Dingy. Both engines will therefore utilise the same mount.

Updates will be posted

AJ
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Revised Chart of the cource with the Start/Finish point at the Alonnah Jetty

AJ
Attachments
Round Bruny II Start  and finish at Alonah.jpg
croweater

Post by croweater »

The run should be more comfortable this time you know what to expect and are prepared, love the old clinker.

John
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

16th March; Monday is looking like the perfect day.

NE 8kts 0500
WNW 3kts 1100
SSW 5kts 1400
SSW 7kts 1700
S 3kts 2000
NE 4kts 2300

We will put the dinghy in the water for a day or so before to take up. We will bring the Good Intent down from Kettering on Sunday and be ready at Alonnah 0500 Monday.

Start time 0500Hrs.

AJ