what breaks the most ?

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Rob Ripley

what breaks the most ?

Post by Rob Ripley »

Is there a common fault that occurs during the long distance events?
I'm considering using some of my motors in a coming event, and wonder what precautions to take to cover faults or breakages that may occur.
Keith.P

Re: what breaks the most ?

Post by Keith.P »

I normally take two motors as I like running the older ones, a spare plug, spanner and fuel and never, needed the plug.
If you have not run a motor for sometime, then give it a run in a tank a day or so before to see if all is well.
There's usually one that gets towed, but he is used to it. :D
croweater

Post by croweater »

Good question Rob I to have been wondering what are the Seagulls weak areas,
how to prepare one for a marathon run, what prop to fit, should I change the
gearbox oil daily, will anything vibrate loose, what spares do I need etc.

Early next year I plan to to do 135km run on the Murray River to test myself
and two of my Seagull Century Motors if all goes well then I will have a crack at
doing the 2,000+km run later in the year with the Oz Seagullers.

John
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

So far I have had con rod bolts come loose twice even when wired. I now Loctite them as well The ignition plate comes loose often. I always do a spanner check, clean and check points, spark plug and change gearbox oil after each day. I also check the fuel system. Always carry spare plugs and prop springs. I always carry a spare engine for long distance races, this makes sure you finish under your own steam. Preparation of the engines in the shed is the best policy.
Rex NZ

Post by Rex NZ »

Rob

Here's my suggestion, based on both actual experiences & rescue boat work

Motor needs to be thoroughly checked over & given a prolonged test run flat out for an hour or so

You'll need
* daily spark plug changes
* daily gear oil changes
* spare prop springs & pins
* spare prop
* waterproof phone
* basic tools

Optional;
* spare complete motor
* chainsaw (or hand saw) in case you get tangled up in the willows. Statistical fact from the Clutha river, more people die from getting tangled in the willows & sucked under, than any other cause.
* bolt the transom clamp on, this prevents the motor jumping up & off when you hit an object, there have been lost many motors & gearboxes in the Karapiro rapids when the river is low
* positive buoyancy, especially at the transom
* powder fire extinguisher, seagulls like to drip fuel onto the HT connection, & water doesn't help you

Interestingly, most of your problems don't come from the motor, rather from the hazards in the river itself;
* sandbanks
* dead trees
* submerged rocks
* weed blocking the cooling
* capsize or swamping in rapids

Rex
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

Excellent suggestion about transom bracket, mine are always bolted on as I nearly lost an engine when testing a few years ago. Easier to change engines when you are on the water if you only have to pull a pin. The biggest issue with long distance racing is making yourself comfortable without over loading the boat. That includes making tiller extensions etc. Also make sure spare engine is exactly the same as main engine. Saves carrying lots of spares on board. Also only take the tools that fit the engine for on water maintenance only
chris

Post by chris »

I use one of those plastic bolted on mounts, it seems to absorb a lot of the vibration,
The things I have had come loose on long trips
the flywheel dome nut
the carb
fuel tank bolts
a fuel tank mount on an old 102 broke and I had to tie it on with a piece of rope
I saw a gearbox try to fall off once, whoever serviced it took the box off and didn't do it up properly
the thingy that holds the silencer on
nut under the engine for the water intake tube
shackles on the boat should be wired on and nuts and bolts on the boat checked if there are any
take a spare fuel cap as I have had the wire break on one and lost it over the side during a refill

Most of my long runs I actually haven't had any problems
croweater

Post by croweater »

Thanks guys some valuable tips there. I had thought about doing a 14mm plug conversion has anyone
done this. I converted a couple of old pomy bikes one being a Sun Autocycle with a 98cc Villiers Junior
Delux motor, it was a pain to start as I could not pedal the thing. After the conversion I could start it
on its stand by just flicking the rear wheel the Ole Girl never let me down on a run. I've not seen anywhere
where a piston has failed which I think is unusual, I guess its a combination of low revs, oil and cool
environment.

John
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

"14mm plug conversion"

Yes I have done that with some other makes but not a gull. For some reason I feel that the 18mm original does a good job, everything being as it should be of course with ignition and fueling etc.

Maybe if you want to give it a go and do a few tanks testing, let us know of any results.

B

A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others