Essex Flocking of Seagulls 2011

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

John@sos

Essex Flocking of Seagulls 2011

Post by John@sos »

Essex Flocking of Seagulls 2011.

Sunday October 9th 2011 10am

Paper Mill lock on the Chelmer and Blackwater Navigation.

North Hill, Little Baddow, Essex. CM3 4 BS

Meet 10am to launch into the canal. When all ready, a gentle trip towards Chelmsford in this most tranquil of canals, gently meandering through the Essex countryside. Return to the Lock where we will be locked through en-masse! Lets see if we can fill the lock with blue haze!

Then off towards the Maldon direction to the next lock and back through the lock en-masse again. Either a putter back up and back or just recover the boats. Depending on timing we will have a stop at the lock side cafe at Paper Mill for lunch. Probably after the first leg before the first locking...

The canal normally charges a large fee for visiting boats and the locks but they have reduced the fee to £10 and thrown in a locking as well, launching is a one off fee for all the group of £6!, paid to the Cafe, but as we are to be customers they may well waive that too, if not SOS pays.

There will be prizes for the best turned out boats and motors and to the boat Seagull and crew who travel furthest to find us! the Canal is nominally 2 ft deep, but in places 10 so lifejackets to be worn please. Anchors not needed!! carry enough fuel and a pair of oars and a couple of mooring/towing lines. Even though it is a freshwater canal, no overloading, trust all to be seamanlike and we will be invited again!

The canal is run by the Inland Waterways Association as a charitable trust and luckily the manager Colin, is a Seagull owner and the the keeper of the sea lock at the Maldon end an ex police officer that I know, thus we have the invite.

Please can you contact me on 01621 778859 if you wish to join in the fun so I can pre warn them of numbers.

Regards,

John
Buzzook

Re: Essex Flocking of Seagulls 2011

Post by Buzzook »

You're game, John, putting this invite in the 'Racing' thread........what will you do if they all turn up?

Only messing with your head, mate. :)

But, seriously, this 'Flocking' to Paper Mill is definitely not a 'race' - so maybe we need a 'Non-Racing Events' thread?

I know I've posted on a couple of such events in Oz, but just in the 'General' thread.

What do others think?

Not trying to inflict 'democracy' on the forum, just asking a question..... :mrgreen:
gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site
John@sos

Re: Essex Flocking of Seagulls 2011

Post by John@sos »

Hi Mark,

neither the events I have organised could be described as 'races', more like 'Cruise in conpany'

One mention or 'Race' here and the Elf and safty police hove to on the horizon looking for EU compliance certificates, all sorts or risk assements and insurance.. Steer well clear!

I have posted both on the Racing and the News pages! So far 5 takers.

That will do for a start! Still a month to go, got to fix that hole in the bottom of boat.... and sort the Seagull....

John
SOS