Bermuda RISR 18th June 2011

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

Bermuda RISR 18th June 2011

Post by Charles uk »

I've just started this topic with the hope that it will stimulate this years competitors to let us know all the gossip & news & new developments.

I know someone's built a 30+ ft Carbon composite boat, I tell you these guys are serious!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Pirate Pete

Re: Bermuda RISR 18th June 2011

Post by Pirate Pete »

Ah ha!! I think I have mastered the contraption.

Ahoy There from Pirate Pete, Wellington New Zealand.

I am forsaking the flat waters of Waikato River, My minimax, My 5R and my marriage to make it to this years RISR as New Zealands self appointed and sole international representative. Tickets are booked, bags are packed and I am ready to go. The only proverbial cloud on the horizon is a little [well actually a lot of] volcanic ash wafting about the place. About 30 flights to and from New Zealand have been cancelled today. But since I don't fly out till first thing Tuesday, there is nothing to worry about 8) .

I don't profess to be the worlds best seagull racer, but have spent heaps of time in boats, completed numerous Great Easter Waikato races and most notably the RISR 2007. I cling to the philosophy of: "to Finish first, first you must finish". A sort of keep everybody honest policy that every now and then pays [tortoise and the hare] dividends.

I am going back to Bermuda to catch up with the friends I met in 2007 and to enjoy the idyllic Bermuda weather, fishing, diving, scenary and history. A very good outcome will be to complete the race for the second time (proving the first effort wasn't a fluke), make it to prize giving [overpowering heat and Pimms ...in no particular order, put paid to that in 2007] and maybe win the fishing prize.

I promise to take spy cam photos of the race and Bermuda race boats ... and hopefully provide regular (depending on computer access) updates of progress.

For those with lots of time on their hands and because I pretty much anticipate a more or less repeat of what happened in 2007, it was all documented here:

http://sites.google.com/site/piratepete ... aadventure

That way I just have to change the dates and I can spend the rest of my time in Bermuda drinking rum

Take care

Pete
Photo by Stephanie
Photo by Stephanie
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Pete nice to see you.

If the Bermudians find out your spying for the Poms things could get very ugly,

DON'T LET THEM TAKE YOU ALIVE!

It's impossible not to talk when they start plying you with Pims & Black Seal.
Pirate Pete

Post by Pirate Pete »

Ah the joys of travel. Happy to say that we made it out of New Zealand all the way to Sydney under the dust cloud . In an risk-taking display of true grit and determination worthy of the ANZAC spirit, Air New Zealand is flying in the face of about 7000 stranded Quantas and JEtSTAR passengers. Thus demonstrating a harden the hell up type of attitude that would make your average Bermudian Proud.

I am greatfull that Air Nz did get us here, otherwise my Bermuda RISR assault would have ended in a pile of missed the race altogether, re-bookings, exponential costs, and general frustration. So more than happy to say I am well on my way and safe from ongoing Christchurch Earthquake calamities.

Look out Bermuda, tomorrow evenings post will be from the land of friendly people, warm clear waters and whistling frogs.

Pete
Pirate Pete

Post by Pirate Pete »

An up date for anybody who is interested. The Pirate and the ancient one (84 year old support crew and father) have made it to New York, New York. We just have to loiter around the hotel a while then make it to the airport to catch the evening flight to Bermuda.

Mega international travel - I had forgotten how rough it is. 3 hours Wellington to Sydney, loiter around Sydney airport for 5 hours then hop on a flight to San Francisco 14 hours, 3 hours at the airport was pretty busy with clearing customs and checking in for the 5 hour flight to New York.

Arrived in New York after being shaken and stirred (sydney to san fran and then across the States was a seat belt on most of the flight and rocking like a christchurch earth quake.

Anyhows, almost there

Pete
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Wow – I am impressed with the sign up!! 52 boats on the night – and several more have verbally given me your details!
It should make for a good day on Saturday – and the Heineken and Seagull gods have been kind with the weather – as the forecast looks good.

Several things –

1) MOST IMPORTANT – You must comply with marine regulations – and have all the required safety equipment -

2) AGAIN – SAFETY FIRST – we have a lot of new faces amongst the racers – so please drink responsibly when out on the water – we would hate for something bad to happen that would mar our safety record. Get back to the Club safely.

3) The Marine Police and Harbour Radio have both been notified that the race is on – and they have put out notices to all the staff working that day

4) I attach my start times with all the registrants so far – If you have an engine that has a propspring – and it has not been marked as such with an X – do let me know because the Propspring trophy is at stake here….

5) The crash boat listing has changed slightly since the weekend when I stuffed the bags – so I also attach the new listing for those who are interested!!!

6) If you change your class – please let me know asap

7) Please also on Saturday – come and see me before you leave so I can mark you off – and give you your Heineken 6-pack

8) Don’t forget that if you don’t complete the race – and you make your own way home - please call me so that I can mark you off as off the water.

Someone asked me for 2010 shirts – I think that it was Donny – but – I have 3 large and 1 XL of the 2010 shirts – so if you want to buy one – let me know – and I will bring them on Saturday

Last but not least – THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to all who have donated prizes to us – I am overwhelmed at the generosity of people.

So to all – go out there and win ,…… There are some fabulous prizes – my job tonight is to work out which ones go to what classes etc!!!

See you Saturday

Martine

Martine Purssell

That's at least 52 boats from a population of 62,000 whereas here we can only manage 4 boats from 62,000,000, how does that work?
Pirate Pete

Post by Pirate Pete »

Ahoy me scurveys

https://picasaweb.google.com/piratepete ... TheREPRISE

The Pirate and the ancient mariner have made it to Bermuda. It is more beautifull here than I imagined. The heat, the colours, the frogs which the ancient one cannot hear because he is deaf and the friendly Bermudians are all here and spoiling us rotten.

Consistency is my moto and sure enough after 3 celebratory minature rums I ended up *porched* underneath the good ship and appropriately named Legless within 5 hours of arriving in Bermuda.

I give up, I guess I am a soft new age sensitive man. Obviously unaccustomed heat, dehydration and cheap alchohol are a dangerous combination for me. 32 hours of being cramped up in a flying sardine can,breathing solid air conditioning and neck pain might have been metabolically altogether too much for my delicate constitution. Hopefully I have gotten that monkey off my back and can get on with things.

Anyhow, after a couple of good nights sleep I am coming right. Race day is shaping up to be a scorcher. The marine forecast was for light winds and probably glass calm seas. So if I am sensible I will stick to a few of the sponsors best and water. Otherwise that old Palm tree will be beckoning.

Happy to report that we have a race boat. Beautifully prepared by Captain Cruel aka Bruce. She is a head turner and probably the epitomy of the sort of boat that an antique outboard motor like a seagull, should be clamped to. We went for a harbour cruise last night and it was magic being out on Bermuda waters.

Lots of seagull pre race boat activity, magic warm clear water, flash boats and flash houses. I think the ancient one is seriously considering selling up in New Zealand and coming over here to live. Unfortunately the Ancient one is about 3 to 4 million US$$$$ short of having a snowballs chance. But without doubt he is suitably impressed by the place.

Having a boat in the water is a good start, but having a fully operational motoris another. Todays effort was to locate the Motor, somewhere in the depths of Bruces basement. Then to do the fundamental race preps. Clean the fuel tank, clean the carb, clean and check the points, change the gear box oil, check all the bolts and fastenings and try and start her up.

Bruce said the motor should be fine, it was run last year. Then on reflection, he added that maybe it was 2 years ago. Whenever, the motor was run and whoever ran it cleaned it up and shut it down in reasonable condition. But there was some serious Black gunk in the fuel line and the carb needed some serious attention. However, after my administrations, some clean fuel and a new spark plug, I am happy to report and moderately surprised when the old girl fired up and seems good to go.

I would like to fit the motor to the boat and do some sea trials to sort out engine trim and height and crew positioning for optimum speed. But such formalities are likely to play second fiddle to other basic race preparations e.g. buying fuel, ice, pimms, fishing lines etc.

Oh, did I mention fishing lines. It seems that the fishing prize is hotly contested and last year some dude caught a 35 lb rock fish or grouper. This year that lunatic is going to go really, really wide along the south shore to where the ocean drops off into really deep water, so he can land a wahoo. So, in respect, my puny secret hand lines and fishing plan is not even in the same ball park. At least the fishing will be a pleasant distraction and an undoubtable bonus to doing the RISR Seagull race. At the very least, I will be able to eat.

I am throwing together a Picasa photo album of the trip check out the link above for part 1.

Happy to be here, but it is altogether too hot

Pete
Attachments
yep stranded in paradise
yep stranded in paradise
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

One of my secret agents has just sent me some pictures of someone's race motors.

2 Seagull Sports & 2 5R's.

He might just be able to walk the walk!
Attachments
IMG-20110617-00245red1.jpg
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Well Bermuda's over for another year.

Congratulations JJ the record's yours & in the most incredible boat,
wait for the pictures.
Attachments
DSCN9376.JPG
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Here is the first stack of RISR 2011 pictures I was sent this morning.
Attachments
DSCN9393.JPG
DSCN9391.JPG
DSCN9390.JPG
DSCN9387.JPG
DSCN9386.JPG
DSCN9385.JPG
DSCN9407.JPG
DSCN9404.JPG
DSCN9403.JPG
DSCN9402.JPG
DSCN9401.JPG
DSCN9400.JPG
DSCN9399.JPG
DSCN9398.JPG
DSCN9397.JPG
DSCN9396.JPG
DSCN9395.JPG
DSCN9394.JPG
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Next
Attachments
DSCN9363.JPG
DSCN9362.JPG
DSCN9360.JPG
DSCN9359.JPG
DSCN9358.JPG
DSCN9357.JPG
DSCN9356.JPG
DSCN9354.JPG
DSCN9375.JPG
DSCN9374.JPG
DSCN9373.JPG
DSCN9372.JPG
DSCN9371.JPG
DSCN9370.JPG
DSCN9369.JPG
DSCN9368.JPG
DSCN9364.JPG
DSCN9384.JPG
DSCN9383.JPG
DSCN9382.JPG
DSCN9381.JPG
DSCN9380.JPG
DSCN9379.JPG
DSCN9378.JPG
DSCN9377.JPG
DSCN9376.JPG
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The Seagull and Heineken gods were with us – what a wonderful day weather wise – an ideal Seagulling race day – winds were light – and crossing the harbour to Sandys at 7.15am the water was glassy!

And what a day it was –

Thanks to Sandys Boat club for hosting the event – you guys came through by opening early – serving drinks – helping out etc – Thank you….

Thank you to Heineken for being our sponsors – and providing us with your support

Thank you to Rubis Shell for sponsoring our crash boats

Thank you to Kirk Wilks and his wonderful catering – his usual good absorption fare!!

Thank you to all of you who donated prizes – what a great collection

Thank you to Ben Fairn of Eyrie FM whose DJ’s kept mentioning the race on air.

Lastly – a thanks to all the participants – you also help to keep the race going! If you did not race – we would not have one!!!

We had 59 boats registered and paid – we would have made the 60 mark if Kevin Pearson had not hit a plastic bag crossing the harbour to the entry line to sign up!!!!

Of these – 2 Did not Start. 10 Did Not Finish – with a probable 3 more of these – as 3 boats did not cross the line (that I saw) or advised me or a crash boat – that they were not finishing. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU DO HAVE TO CALL ME!! Harbour Radio do call us and check whether there are any boats still out there – and I have to tell them – yes

So – a total of 44 finished as per my records.

One record was broken – Sports Racing Class – JJ Soares’ “Game Over” – made it round the Island in 2 hours 7 minutes – beating the old record by 3 minutes – congratulations – at least you did not entomb your crew this year!!!!!!!! You will have to try and beat your own record next year.

Our usual contender for line honours Brian Lightbourn did not make it – somewhere on North Shore – he and his daughter capsized!! Luckily – there were fellow racers around and the engine, boat and crew were saved (in that order – naturally). Not sure what exactly happened – rumours float around that it was passing a beer and tilting the boat that caused the mishap – but I have not heard the story from the horse’s mouth so will hold my thoughts until I do!!

Crack Oar – cracked apart – literally – you may remember it cracked in half a couple of years ago – and was held together to get to the end of the race. Apparently this year the transom was falling off – so again was held together to complete the race. It is being retired!!!

This year we had our oldest participant sign up. Pete Notman and his dad Alan came up from New Zealand specifically for the race!! These two plus Luce Lorhan took “Legless” around and won the oldest aged crew prize – 52, 84 and 32!!! 168 years combined. They had a bit of a shaky start – but thanks to Cory for supplying spare parts – they resumed their journey around. Mr Notman senior wants to do it again!!!

Pete also started off his pre-race festivities by being caught after a hard night’s drinking with Bruce Lorhan sleeping on the grass outside – beside the boat “Legless” – so aptly named!!! There are photos around somewhere!!

There were lots of all female crews signed up – some provided the crash boats with some “eyefulls’ – much to the delight of Michael Heslop and his mate – though some younger crash boat members state they will not be going to St Tropez if that is what goes on there!!!

Grey Goose kept the crash boats on an eye out – as the capt. and crew managed to fall out of the boat on North Shore – but they resumed their positions and continued the race and finished!

Nick Chilvers could not get his seagull engine to work – so decided to go around – but with a regular Yamaha 15 engine – so it was rather amusing to see him being towed back by a crash boat (not sure how far he got) but – as Michael Anfossi said – “Yamahahaha!!” – I think that he meant - don’t trust anything that is not seagullian for a seagull boat!!!

I was impressed with the dedication of the guy that was at Sandys Boat Club – armed with a sign saying – “Is your crew hungover – can’t make the race? Wanted – boat to ride in!!” (or that sort of thing!) anyhow – he was there from 8am – and managed to hook a ride with Smiley’s crash boat at 12.30pm – so – he went around the island in one form or other – You should have seen his smile when he got back – he was happy to have been part of the whole event!

Thanks as always to the committee – comprised of Cory Kowalchuk, Michael Bean, Stephen Roberts and Brian Anfossi as they make all the technical decisions (as well as others!) – we all chase for prizes – and donate to them – whatever that makes this race work!!

If anyone has any ideas for good “green” causes that this race can donate to for next year – let me know.

We are also going to revisit the actual wording of what engine will earn the propspring award for next year – It will have to be completely stock – above and below the waterline – no cavitation plates or anything.

Lastly – I have not done the exact maths –but – on the face of it – I think that we will be able to donate at least $2,600 towards the Seymour pond project of the Audubon Society – it will most likely be more – but wanted to let you know. Well done!!!

Courtesy of Anne Steele – check out this website for photos http://bdarisr.blogspot.com/

Great Pics

See you next year – and will confirm the date as soon as it is determined but pencil in June 16th 2012 as that is the closest Sat to the summer solstice … Spanish Point is the venue next year…. If no date conflicts…..
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Bermuda RISR 2011 Results & Times.

Name Boat Seagull Reg# Colour Boat length Captain Crew Official Leave Actual Leave Return time Elapsed Time

Naughty Bits 072 none 15' 11" David Semos Jason Semos 10.30 am 10.30 2.04 3.34
Boat Loada Egrunce XVI green 15' Dylan Ward Jordan Robbins 10.30 am 9.30 6.30 9.00
Puma 5913 5913 white 15' 5" Luke Joseph Shannon Sommersall 10.30 am No show
Gay Pride green 16' Kevin Pearson Tommy lee Sorebotttom 10.30 am DNS
Scrumpy Jack 550 Grey green 15' 6" Nick Cabral Ashley Adair 10.30 am 10.30 4.03 5.33

Mirabelle 2251 Red 18 Chris Reeves Nick Lucking/Forbes 11.00 am 8.20 5.50 9.30
Pretty Bumpy 1866 yellow 18 Thad Murdoch Jessie Hallett 11.00 am 10.30 5.24 6.54
Turkey Spray 1968 black 20' Darren Cann Darin Cassidy 11.00 am 11.00 5.22 6.22
Seagullize It 14224 red 24' Nigel Pollard Christian Pollard 11.00 am 12.22 DNF
Sea Swallows 20 pale blue 24' Keith Bridges Greg Titterton 11.00 am 11.00 DNF
we-tarded 13 gray 19' chris wells Aaron Madeiros 11.00 am 11.00 4.31 5.31
Corrosion X XXXX white 19' Neal McConachie Tim Hunter 11.00 am 10.30 4.45 6.15

12.30pm

12 noon
12 noon
12 noon

Wooden Dinghy

Memory Blue 14' 6" Marc Siese Hans Hirschi 8.30am 8.30 3.23 6.57
Happy Snapper 235 Yellow 14' Bill Tatem Jason floyd 8.30am 8.30 DNF
Dingleberry 11834 Dark blue 12' Martin Brown John Tester 8.30am 8.30 4.28 7.58
Legless 21 Maroon 17' Chris Farrow Mike Smith 8.30am 8.43 4.01 7.18
White Blue trim 12' Sean pitcher Greg Tyers 8.30am 8.43 7.30 10.47
Humdinger White Green Ernie Mello Stuart Randles 8.30am 8.31 3.46 7.15
Family Tree Olive Green Jackyn Connery Michael/Arnold 8.30am 8.43 DNF

Not Wood Dinghy
Quantum #7 4026 black 17' James Gibbons Richard Winchell 9.30am 9.30 2.51 5.21
Thirsty 1683 grey 12' 6"' Chris Malpas Art Garcia 9.30am 9.30 4.125 6.425
Musty Crussel 1430 Green 14' Bert Finnerty Mike Stevens 9.30am 9.30 4.120 6.420
Cool runnings 52 million Red yellow Green 12'.5 Aaron Fenn Zander Dill 9.30am 9.30 5.15 7.45
Paddle Me 4404 White Gree n trim 12' 4" Ryan Davidge Esme Davidge 9.30am 9.57 DNF
Coneys 1/4 10292 white w/waterline 12' Corry Kowalchuk Hugh McPhee 9.30am 9.30 4.40 7.10
Midget 4167 yellow 15' Peter Rodday Jason Tavares 9.30am 9.30 4.38 7.08
Seapony WSPC 690 EE4 white 19'6" Malcolm Graham Taylor Ricky & David Nor 9.30am 9.30 4.49 7.19
Old Skool 10 white 15' 6" Slayton Outerbridge Andrew Cottingham 9.30am 9.30 DNF

Wooden Dinghy (check no pipe)

Recession Ride 11518 white 12' 6" Harold Conyers Russell Conyers 9.00am 9.00 1.40 4.40
Starbright/Double trouble 222 grey 18' 5" Jennifer Doe Jennifer Kempe 9.00am 9.00 3.24 6.24

Not Wood Dinghy
9.00am

Longadanyurs green silver white 24' Andrew Percy Robert Percy 12.00pm 11.03 2.25 3.22

Screaming Flea 19 Yellow 22' John Edmunds Jens Maitland 1.00pm 1.00 3.38 2.38
Dark & Lovely 24-11 black 24' Jacob Hocking Jason Whitecross 1.00pm 1.00 3.29 2.29
Longa Knots 15-Jun green 27' Michael Bean Stephen Roberts 1.00pm 1.00 3.16 2.16
Cheeky Lips 99 white 20' Allan Powell Glenn Clinton 1.00pm 1.00 DNF
Chop Sticks black 32' 10" JJ Soares Bob Vaughan 1.00pm 1.00 3.21 2.21
Tings & Times 23 Blue 24' Andrew McPhee Ken Dallas 1.00pm 1.00 3.42 2.42
Dixie 1870 dark blue 19' 8" Peter Shrubb Matt Shrubb 1.00pm 1.00 3.455 2.455
Bite De Bullet grey 24' Andy Chiappa Terry Pimantal 1.00pm 1.00 3.50 2.50
#13 14664 white/orange brow 24' Brian Lightbourn Dylan Lightbourn 1.00pm 1.00 3.15 2.15
Crack Oar 9 grey 24' Scott Barnes Ashley Barnes 1.00pm 1.00 DNF
Allotafagina #1 white 19.75' Lisa Le Blanc Wendy o'Brian 1.00pm 1.00 3.450 2.450
Seaweed White 18' J Casling Curbey 1.00pm 1.00 DNF
Under the radar 44+ Gray 24' John Stephens Stephen Bridges 1.00pm 1.00 3.49 2.49
Open Pack usea ….. 5 green 21' Hamish Burns Keven Fox 1.00pm 1.00 DNF
Nautical Nonsense#55 15167 white/yellow/blue 24' Shaun Burgess SeanMello 1.00pm 1.00 3.34 2.34
cockdapuss 14 dark purple 19.5' Jason North Jenny 1.00pm 1.00 4.01 3.01

Peter L Moran Blue 17' Mully Benes 10.30am 10.37 4.07 5.30
Flying Lizard 505 yellow green 16' Brian Anfossi Alex Anfossi 10.30am 9.48 2.55 5.07
Sunrise 5446 white & RED 19' 6" Jonathan Cassidy Jessica Gilbert 10.30am 2.23 5.33 3.10
Chiquita 4551 Yellow 16' Mark Whayman Anna White/NadineBreeze 10.30am 10.30 3.59 5.29
Veuve Cliquot Yellow 16' Dan Darcy Rob Miller 10.30am 10.30 4.02 5.32
Oyeeee Pink 16' Naz Farrow Anne Steele 10.30am 10.24 3.43 5.19
Calming Influence 44 1/2 Blue Alex Amort Nancy Stevens 10.30am 10.30 2.53 4.23
Stephen Seagull 4325 white 15 11" Blake Hill hayley Hill 10.30am 10.35 1.43 3.08
Pepto 96 Pink under 16 Nick DeCosta Reed Gaglio 10.30am 10.30 3.38 5.08

Pucker Up 99 green Scott Benton Iain Hardcastle/Barrie Lowe 8.53 DNF
Terrapin Flyer 102 Mottled 13" 6" Charlie Brown Lacey 11.05 5.18 6.13

Onion Flee 61 White 19' 6" Tom Wadson Eliza wadson

Not sure if this makes a lot of sense will try to get a better copy
Chicken

Post by Chicken »

Found bunch of photos here

http://www.chronicmould.com/seagull_2011.html

there are some crazy engines there!
33 RACING NZ
doppler491

Post by doppler491 »

How a Silver Century should run...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzcHqkPtmtU