Making Seagull racing more accessable

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

Making Seagull racing more accessable

Post by Charles uk »

During my post Hayling conversations with H-A, a couple of points came up that merit discussion.

1. The Dutch entrants went to great efforts & expense to come & play with us & what could we do to make it easier for visitors to come join us at any of the UK Seagull events.

They also gave me 5 freshwater 102 cylinders with the instructions to put a smile on someone's face, these went within the first 24 hours, I didn't give them away but asked for a donation toward a trophy for the Stock (unmodified) 102cc classic motor class, that the Cornish team won.
The recipients of these parts were more than happy to donate more than I was suggesting for a worthy cause, giving me the problem of what to do with the change, then the idea came up of why don't we buy a 12 to 15 ft, sea capable, low maintenance, fibre glass dingy & trailer something like H-a's or Patrick's from the Cornish team that he used at Hayling. We're not talking a new boat on a galvanised trailer here but a £300 ish boat & trailer that might need a little work that could be finished on 2 Saturday mornings.
So could all who read this keep their eyes open for suitable candidates.

2. This was H-A's suggestion for a 40 series class running in smaller boats in more sheltered waters but after reading Tinkers post & looking at the links regarding the ply hull that could put a 40 in a position where it could run with the big boys all the way around.

What think you gentlemen?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
The Tinker

Re: Making Seagull racing more accessable

Post by The Tinker »

What about building a flint with the extra money.
Charles uk

Re: Making Seagull racing more accessable

Post by Charles uk »

After a suggestion from Charlesp, I took a tour around 2 of my local sailing clubs, where I discovered the cost of an old Enterprise sailing dinghy hull seems to be circa £25.
For a 13ft 3" x 5. 3" GRP hard chine hull with built in flotation this doesn't seem too expensive, there were a choice of at least 3 different hulls at each club, so I'm going to treat myself to one, then H-a & I will fill all the holes left from the removal of the sailing gear, raise & strengthen the tramsom to suit a short shaft Seagull & then take it for a test drive, wait for the river test report.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.