8.2 knots with a Forty Featherweight on the back.

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Robin Anderson

8.2 knots with a Forty Featherweight on the back.

Post by Robin Anderson »

Racing enthusiasts are no doubt are aware of the performance capabilities of our ancient little engines but for those unpersuaded I enclose herewith an un-photoshopped genuine photo of my 12 ton boat doing 8.2 knots with my wee Seagull on the back. :shock: This can be independently verified by Southampton VTS - they probably had us on radar and put out an all ships warning that there was a fast one coming up the side of the Isle of Wight.
Economy was excellent and noise levels very low. No problem with cooling despite the speed. Prop only lightly buffed. For the technically minded the only modfication required - an extra, extra long shaft - freeboard height about 45 inches.
So if you feel the need for speed, get a Gull!

Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Charles uk

Re: 8.2 knots with a Forty Featherweight on the back.

Post by Charles uk »

How fast was the tide robin & how very thoughtful to shade your featherweight with your spinnaker & your mainsail.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

Honestly, tide was not a factor and of course I could not let my wee engine be exposed to the potentially harmful rays of the sun now could I.....
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

Nice to see that you slowing down the bearing wear by keeping the flywheel still.
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

Merely an optical illusion of course Tinker, as we know the flywheel is actually rotating so fast that it appears to be stationary - any faster and it looks to be going backwards I believe. Surely some boffin on the Forum can enlighten us with the scientific explanation behind the optical characteristics of light falling on a fast spinning object and being reflected back so as to suggest a stationary object.....
Bearing wear is of course a valid concern and far be it from me to cast aspertions on anyone fretting about such an important issue. I can't honestly say that it keeps me awake at night however
:)
Robin
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't everything look stationary in a still photograph?

It's nice to read something on the internet that is 100% accurate, thanks Robin.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.