Proposed Seagull Marathon early next summer 2011 May/June

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

Re: Proposed Seagull Marathon early next summer 2011 May/Jun

Post by Oyster 49 »

How did it go? I kept an eye on the Hayling webcam but did not see any of you. Any pics?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Oyster

The results for the first International Saving Old Seagulls Once Around Hayling Island, British Seagull Marathon,

Are as follows,

Modified Class.

H-A in a new record time

Stock Class

Patrick the Cornishman also in a record time

Winning times will be posted when the man from the Guiness book of records sobers up.

Late news.

Dutch Team face possible disqualification for stopping on Hayling Island for a beer! pending judges decision.

Pics to follow.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

The longest European Seagull race was a success.
It would have been nice to have had a few more entries, but I am sure that those who made the effort enjoyed it.
Race 1.jpg
Race 2.jpg
Jan brought his beautiful steel riveted Barge Dinghy, quite a rare thing but not well suited to the sea.

The weather on the day turned out to be almost perfect, lots of sun and just enough wind to give some exciting waves.

We started at 12.00 as planned and headed off towards the mouth of Chichester Harbour.
Race3.jpg
It was neck and neck with the first three boats, until the Cornish man grounded his prop.
Up to that point it was anyone's race. Charles did the heroic thing and assisted, I thought they had turned round because it was too rough so pressed on.
Race4.jpg
This could have been the South of France.

The remainder of the race for us was a little lonley, Coming into Langstone was fast I saw 10.8mph on my GPS.
We were back in Chichester near the finish before Charles caught up.
We got back to the start at 3.50 pm.
Race5.jpg
My young crew were very pleased.

As a venue it is very good, the launching slip us very large and has loads of parking.
Itchenor sailing club is perfect , very friendly and perfect hosts a big thanks to them.

Let us hope that next time more people will get involved.

H-A
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Don't accuse me of heroics H-A, if Neptune had taken the Cornish team I was going to claim salvage on that beautiful boat & motor.

Not only did they survive but I was Whooped into a loosing situation again by you!

Not a good day

So don't expect a Christmas card. It's not that I'm a bad looser, I'm getting a lot of training, I should be really good at loosing!
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

I have been thinking about people who may have wanted to be in the race but did not have a long enough boat or a century/102.

As the harbour is quite large it should be possible to have a 40+/- class that follows a different route.
They could start at the same time and place, follow the pack down to East Head mark.
Then they could go up to the bridge then back to the start, that would be about 15 miles.
The 40+/- class would start and finish with the other classes, which would work.

I could have put two additional boats in this class on Saturday. Both boats were not up to the open sea bit, but would have been fine in the harbour.

Robin you could have set the record with your Tinker Tramp and 40+ ( P.S. Thanks for the caps and help, I look forward to seeing your pictures).

Would there be any takers for the 40+/- short route ?

H-A
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I think I can say without fear of contradiction, that all the competitors & the backup crews had a great weekend, that started on Friday afternoon & finished on Sunday morning.

The weather was good, but not perfect, the course educational but not extreme, Itchenor sailing club an excellent base for this type of venture & very reasonably priced.

I think I was asked by every entrant & by all the Seagull owning spectators if we could do it again next year, I have no doubts that a marathon type event at this location has "legs".

So if any of you are thinking of joining us around this time next year for the second running of the Seagull marathon, make sure your confident that your best Seagull will run at full tilt for 5 hours & that you have a boat that will run in the sea at a minimum of 5 mph with it on the transom, & start getting everything ready now.

Remember marathons are more about stamina than speed & to build stamina you have to start preparation early!
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

More Hayling 2011 pics.
DSC07519.JPG
Attachments
P1080099.JPG
P1080118.JPG
P1080116.JPG
P1080112.JPG
P1080107.JPG
DSC07540.JPG
Rex NZ

Post by Rex NZ »

Hi Charles

What beautiful weather!

I can't see a petrol tank on your motor

Is it solar powered?

Rex
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Good question Rex.

No it's not solar.

I never understood why Seagull fitted that heavy ugly tank thingey on top of all of their motors.

So I binned the one on mine, & it made absolutely no difference to the performance! giving me the impression it's an "ashtray on a motor bike" type device.
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

I always thought those late model engines are a little unreliable and slow. Well done HA the old girls are still the best. Almost like the rabbit and the turtle type race. It seems the name on the yacht in the back ground of one of the photos is on the wrong boat. Idle Vice. Just wondering why you poms think that 40+s are not good enough to go around the island. The are a well proven contender on the right boat check out this link http://picasaweb.google.com/stejdor/FlintDinghy# Very easy to build in the lounge or wherever you poms build boats. Takes about ten full days to build It is very stable and goes very well with one person in it with a 40+ on the back. Very sea worthy. Here is the designers Web site http://www.baysidewoodenboats.com.au/
Rex NZ

Post by Rex NZ »

Charles

Are you sure this was Hayling Island? I thought England was supposed to be foggy & sun-less with murky water :?

I've been examining the photos closely. Looks more like the Islands of Greece to me. There's sunshine & blue sky & blue water

I think you might be having us on about this being in the English channel :lol:

Rex
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Just like NZ is clean & green & environmently pure.
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

It is amazing what photo shop can do to photos, look carefully evidence is there
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

Let us know what you think of the flint if you have looked at it. Would like to know what you guys think. I might build one to lend out to foreigners that visit for the great race if their is some interest.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

The Tinker wrote:It is amazing what photo shop can do to photos, look carefully evidence is there
I will need more clues ?

The Flint boat looks very nice, If i was looking for a first boat that would do.

It should be quick to build, a couple of weekends and you would be on the water.

The weather is now getting better and I am itching to build another boat, but have "loads of other jobs to do"she says :roll:

H-A