epoxy temp

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

rivers

epoxy temp

Post by rivers »

My apologies if this is way too off forum content but guessed since building a boat is a fairly common topic in this sub forum , I thought I'd ask.
I'm thinking of giving build my own a shot. Don't want to get into "what I should build". I'm leaning toward a stitch-n-glue lapstrake build. I've got the time and with a couple motorcycle unloads I'll have the room in the garage. It'll be out of the rain but not heated. My concern is about epoxy. Seems everything I've read is that epoxy likes 60*F(15*C) plus. Anyone have experience using epoxy below 60*F. Doable or a really bad idea? My goal is strong reliable solid build. With the cost of marine grade wood I can't afford a do-over on something that comes apart. I'm not in a hurry so I can deal with a longer cure time between steps so long as a it sticks well and cures strong.
Thanks,
Joe
Charles uk

Re: epoxy temp

Post by Charles uk »

Hair dryer or halogen spotlight cures the temperature problem, though it tends to make it a lot less viscous & it can run, but 2 inch insulating tape stops most of that.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
phil

Re: epoxy temp

Post by phil »

Here is an epoxy that claims to cure in cooler temps.
http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/ColdCure-c31.htm