"Adequately powered" Orkney

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Robin Anderson

"Adequately powered" Orkney

Post by Robin Anderson »

Had a bit of a problem - too many Seagulls without a suitable boat to float em on.
Solved thanks to new addition to the fleet, an Orkney Longliner...Image

Rolls Royce Motors used to describe their cars as being merely "adequately powered".
I think the Longliner could be so described - two Silver Century Plus beauties of 1976 and 1977 vintage, stored from new, never before dipped in the briny....

One is a shortie on a swing down bracket, sourced from John of this Parish. Other is a long shaft - bought from a Forum member. The shortie had already been started by John, the Long had never been turned over - she just needed the flywheel plate taken off and the points cleaned. And just in case, the Longliner rows easily :D

Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Horsley-Anarak

Re: "Adequately powered" Orkney

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Nice looking boat Robin, I would think you could go anywhere in that, great seaboat.

Get a tent for the back, and you could camp on it.

It looks like you are in Fowey, if I am not mistaken.

H-A
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Absolutely "adequately powered"! And the boat is of the type that I like, capable to handle bad weather. I hope to enjoy it with 4-5bf!
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

Told Mission Control that I was buying her a white GRP twin scew motor yacht with plenty of "wow" factor..... alas she thinks the forward cabin accommodation leaves a little to be desired.
...Image
no pleasing some...
The two SIlver Century Plus engines are more than adequate of course even if not fast. I remember the company had a Longliner for testnig the QB series engines - it is a fine seagoing hull.
Well spotted sharp eyed observer, tis Fowey. I keep her up at Golant and the ebb can be very fierce there but I was able to push up against the tide and a NWForce 6 all the way up to St Winnow before it started getting a bit shallow.
Seagulling perfection.

Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Wow that is a super smart looking boat! Is the bow area underneath the boss's berth accesible? Dry storage? I have said it before and i'll say it again you europeans simply have the best taste in small craft.
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

Hi David, yes the Longliner is a handsome wee boat - they have been in production for 35 years and they have made over 3000 of them. Easily driven - rated for a 5 to 15hp longshaft engine. Has galvanised keel band and little bilge keels, also protected for taking the ground. Up forard there is an insulated box for captured fishes or lunch or both, and beers of course. Hatch for doing the mooring or anchor and stowage area up in the peak. Built in closed cell foam buoyancy. The latest models have a molded in grp floor, earlier ones had loose ply floorboards. Longliners are in regular use as professional inshore fishing boats around UK shores, often very heavily laden. Orkney Boats (Arundel, Sussex, not in the Isles) went on to build Fastliner and Strikeliner models and even a Longliner Mark 2 but they are all for humunguos engines and built for speed rather than loveliness - in my biased opinion. A great boat for Seagulls. I have not tried it yet but the floor is quite suitable for sleeping on with a couple of carry mats - the cockpit cover is more than enough for rain protection so will have a go camping sometime - the upper reaches of the Fowey River are delightful.

Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Robin Anderson wrote: the upper reaches of the Fowey River are delightful.
There is no excuse now Robin, you will have to do the Lerryn race.

If you pop to Lerryn there is a great pub "The Ship Inn" http://www.theshipinnlerryn.co.uk/.

And RBT has a little house nearby, I am still trying to get him to buy me a beer.

It is a nice part of the world, if the weather is good lunch in Mevagissy will be no problem in your boat.

H-A
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Robin:

Thanks for the info. Your pics sure sparked my interest. I have not been able to find any evidence of an orkney longliner in N/A but I can always hope to stumble on one.
Even the 12 foot version is pretty neat but your 18 is the beeknees or sure. They sure don't come cheap new eh! guess ya gotta pay for that kind of quality.

I did notice on ebay UK that there is currently a 12 footer on a trailer with a 40 plus on the stern bid currently at 200 pounds.
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

Rough seas on a trip to Polkerris- Longliner and Gulls very reassuring. Both engines run very sweet.
Have had occasion to tow two boats - broken down hire boat with two souls onboard - their modern small Jap OB died - towed easily.
More testing was a broken down cabin boat (dead Suzi 50 OB) towed against the ebb up at Golant - slow but steady - the 11 inch Hydrofan does deliver the grunt. Thinking of going into the Tugboat business - customers get to laugh at the antique engines towing em home :D
Robin
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Looks good Robin.

The run to Mevagissey is a nice trip on a calm day.

Straight across St Austel bay, pub lunch and back, spot of fishing, wish I was there.

H-A
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Man oh man I am keenly jealous of that rig. Thanks alot for the pics and the reports of performance. Still no evidence of an orkney on this side of the pond but I am sure there must be one somewhere and lord knows north americans would not be impressed by a displacement hull and modest accomadations so it is likely waiting in some field for me cheap and in need of love.

Much appreciate the ingsight.
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

I noticed a few of them when I was in the Isle of Skye a few years ago.
Attachments
R0013271.JPG
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

WHat is that little cutey with the turquoise pilot house!
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

david doyle wrote: pilot house!
We call it a Cuddy :D

not sure of the model, but there are loads about on the south coast, boat ramp clogged on a sunny day with them.

H-A
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

Fleet tender in regular use in this lovely weather...
Perfect for atrip up to Lerryn....
lovely Lerryn!

Robin
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5