interesting boat for a 40 plus

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

david doyle

interesting boat for a 40 plus

Post by david doyle »

Been looking at knocking together a one man car toppable skiff to power with a 40 plus. Wanted to do something a bit different and have been curious about mounting the OB inboard from the transom like on a Poole Canoe. Anyway the boat below showed up in my research and I thought it was interesting from a one man and a 64 cc engine perspective.

Robin Anderson

Re: interesting boat for a 40 plus

Post by Robin Anderson »

That's a cute wee boat David and a 40 Plus would be easier of the eye than that modern thingy. However to get the benefit of the hull profile I think you need a short shaft Century 100.
This is all highly scientific and technical of course but for the record... on a test boat comparison.... in the same wind and weather conditions.........
My 40 Featherwight provides no sensation of speed at all, just modest progress in the right direction.
The 40 Plus provides awareness of passing scenery and definite forward momentum at all times, slightly lifting the brim on my Tilley hat when heading into a light breeze.
With a Century fired up however, after one has regained ones' composure from nearly being thrown harse over twit over the transom, and once she settles down on the plane you will definitely be in contention for Seagull race gongs if used on that wee boat. I don't have hair anymore to ruffle but if I did it would be well tussled.......the Century, particularly with the 5 blade 9 inch Hydrofan prop is a well sporty little engine and it will get my Tinker Tramp on the plane with much less noise than a 40 Plus.
So invest large and feel the wind in your hair.

Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Fit a forty minus gearbox to a silver century or 102. You will need for that a water pump housing from a century gearbox 3.5:1.
A Yamaha propeller also on that gearbox (don't know which size) and you are ready to rock!!!
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Robin, thanks for the insight. What I am pondering on these days is a hull specific for a 40 plus short shaft. Something cartoppable/portagable and suitable for one man and my 65 pound 2 week ultralight camping pack. With a wide transom and a flat bottom how quick do you think a 40 would push <300 pounds? Or is a long skinny frieghter canoe type craft more likely to use a 40 more efficiently....?

Stelios, LOL, I can hardly get a stock engine together so for now I 'll skip the race boat engine builds.
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

One of the Seagull racers would be better able to estimate speed but I am certain that a 40 Plus is much better than 40 Featherweight as the leg is I think likely to be too short on the little one and the gearing does not make best use of the limited power. My concern about a speed machine as a pocket cruiser would be keeping all your kit up out of the water - wet sleeping bag etc no fun. So my preference would be for a better sea boat - I carried my 7ft.10 inch grp dingy on the roof of my Mum's Hillman Imp and then on top of my Morris Minor with the Featherweight in the boot - much happy cruising. Then I went large - a 10ft 6 ins, towed behind the Moggy Minor, the Tow Bar fitter thought I was mad, what could one possibly tow with a Moggy he said!!!
Happy days.

Robin
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

I have a entire 40+ leg/gearbox on a 102 (modified exhaust, running a C100 fan). One advantage was the enclosed water pipe.
Attachments
DSCF9622.JPG
DSCF0674.JPG
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

Well Done" 8) I love what you have done there. You have given me some great thoughts on all the spares that i have lying around the house.