Free boat plans?

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Niander101

Free boat plans?

Post by Niander101 »

Any good sites for Free or inexpensive? boat plans?
stitch and glue type
fancy building something.
skyetoyman

Re: Free boat plans?

Post by skyetoyman »

For Loch Ness seagull outing perhaps. Fresh water suitable for wartime 102 ?
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
vk7hch

Post by vk7hch »

I am not the first to mention this boat here, for an inexpensive option, try the Flint
That is my next build, I already have the plans.

Chris
The flock so far...F, FP, TC, WC
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

What sort of boat do you want to build Niander?

I am working on a new design at the moment, 11' 10" cross between a Jon Boat and a Tinney.

Watch this space.

Duckworks has some free plans http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans.htm.

But most of the modern ply stitch and glue boat designs are not free.

H-A
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Yeah that tug one has caught my eye before as well.

The best source for free plans I have found are the .hul files that come with the free ware HULLS. The 3D GIF images that are shown in the plans from duckworks are generated in HULLS software and the .hul file for that tug are in there as well as a crap load of other well known boats. If you down load HULLS you can review a hundred or so small craft, alter them and examine thier hydrostatic charachteristics etc. You can then open that file in another freeware program called delftship/freeship and hit a button which will generate patterns for you to transfer to your ply.

Learning to design a boat with the sftware takes some time and effort but learning to generate frame dimensions and ply patterns is dead easy. If you generate the ply patterns you can print them out on a cereal box and build a model. IMHO that is the first step in any boat build and is alot of fun. Don't get uber serious about it slap the first one together with tape.

The other consideration is that not much new ever happens. You can likely find the perfect boat for you in the form of disscusion and offsets in the work sof Howard Irving Chappelle. Generating ply panels from his work is dead easy with the aforementioned software.

If I were you I would not look for "free plans" I would look for the boat you want. Find the boat and then figure out the plans. Stitch and glue plywood boats are dead easy to build and as long as you have the offsets you do not really need to spend money. That being said if there is the perfect hull for you out there and someone has done the work to get you to a point where you can mindlessly cut and glue that is worth something I guess.

Oh yeah and BTW not every plan out there is accurate or correct! At teh very least build some models scaled from the plan before you start cutting 150 dollar a sheet ply and adding 100 dollar a gallon epoxy to it :wink:

few free boat plans here:
http://ww.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/php ... =15&t=4044

here is an example of a pretty straightforward plywood seagull worthy boat from above link: