New boat here

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

david doyle

New boat here

Post by david doyle »

Hi my name is david and I think I might have a problem....... just ordered a batch of Whitworth spanners and have driven the local lubricant dealers crazy in my quest for SAE 120

The below boat is Bolger designed Seahawk power dory. I plan to use a 1966 forty plus on it. As it sits it is a planning hull and remains so until I load the family or a moose up. As a displacment hull it maxes out at around 6 knots with strong merc twin 7.5 hp at part throttle so I am hoping the forty plus will push it at about or close to the same rate with alot less wieght on the transom. (and a heck of a lot more style)

Once I had the bronze and brass appointed engine I tracked down some old growth teak and plan a worthy Navigator's seat and transom board to compliment the Seagull.

Been really enjoying this site, you guys were responsible for me buying my first seagull (an anchor that donated mount, tank and prop to my 66 40+) and your responsible for my second seagull (traded in a dark barn for a cheap chinese winch) Hoping to find another or 6 of these motors.

Stelios_Rjk

Re: New boat here

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Welcome David!!

SAE or EP 140 is what you need.

Happy Seagulling!
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

It is my understanding that EP contains sulphur compounds that are destructive to yellow metals and that the gear oil must be be SAE. Your right I made a typo i should have written 140.

Proving to be unobtainbale to me though.

Thanks for the welcome
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I suspect you will find that EP is fine. Issues have, it's true, been identified with yellow metals, but that's for use at high temperatures. Your Seagull will be running in water that keeps it very cool. Unless you're planning to use it in the bath! :D

I have a bottle of EP 140 sold by British Seagull - they were happy to supply it.
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

That about EP is correct in high temperatures. Underwater the temperature of the gearbox can't increase so it's OK to use EP.

edit: Coincidence No2 :lol:
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Hi David

Nice pictures, engine looks good.

Your boat should go ok with a 40+, won't win any races but will ride better without the Merc on the back.

Let us know how you get on.

I don't bother about the gearbox oil grade too much, if I have run out of 140 grade I use ep 90.

As long as the box has oil in it and it is changed every year, I would not worry too much if you cant get 140.

The only down side with the thinner stuff is that it leaks out a little faster, but your engine looks like it has had little use, so it should be fine.

H-A
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I agree with H-A as long as there is oil in there is more important!
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Thanks for the info on gear oil, I am gonna try and secure some SAE 140 over the months between now and ice off but if I can't then 90 EP it is.
phil

Post by phil »

I believe the old Troy Bilt rototillers (70s and earlier) use SAE 140. Try a petroleum bulk dealer that supplies farmers or fishermen. Too bad you are so far away, I have the best part of 20l. over here.
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Phil:

Go figure that there would be a Bluenoser on here! South shore or fundy side? I developed all my boat addictions in Halifax harbour. For the oil I tried every place in western canada and beyond with no luck. I am pretty stuck on putting the right lubricant in it so am gonna have to order some to come by post. If you want to fill a couple Kieth's Pale ale bottles (or receptacle of your choice) I'd be happy to pay for them and CP to deliver them.
phil

Post by phil »

Hi, I'm actually from over there, grew up in Port Moody, and Burnaby. Have been here since '81. Currently living in Maitland at the mouth of the Schubie River. So upper Minas Basin part of the bay of Fundy. Often boating with a buddy from Halifax, put in at the Dingle off Herring Cove Rd. Also used to keep a sailboat up at Wallace on the Northumberland Strait, as there was another sailing buddy up there.

I'd be willing to send you some SAE 150, which is what I have (Irving marine gear oil) but I'm afraid the shipping might make it prohibitive. I will check it out.
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Hi Phil,

Wow leave it to mr Irving to be the only source of SAE 140 LOL, makes perfect sense. Probabley comes out of the lubricant plant in Saint John. Your mention of the Dingle brings back lots of memories. When I was at Dal in the early 90s I biked around the rotary many times heading out that way. Spent summers as a youth at Sherwater as well so I very much like the area. You aint missin anything in port moody or Burnaby these days. The old vancouver we loved is long gone.

I'd be happy to pay the shipping and for the oil. If it is not to much trouble let me know.