12' Flat Skiff

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

david doyle

Re: 12' Flat Skiff

Post by david doyle »

Chris, Thanks for the info.

Tinker, I think you sold me on the Flint, nice boat and a step up from the Bolger Cartopper. 6.3 knots with a 40 plus and good looks can't beat that.

vk7hch

Post by vk7hch »

Now you have me looking at a Flint as my next build, or even a Fleet if one ever appears.
I need to build something that doesn't have a flat bottom.

Chris
The flock so far...F, FP, TC, WC
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

LOL, that is the problem with looking at study plans, they are the crack cocaine of the marine world, you figure you can just look next thing you know you got a load of marine ply on the way and your up to your elbows in shavings and epoxy. I did some more reading on the FLint and I am a bit scared off by the stressed ply design and the many reports of cracked ply, think I am back to the Bolger cartopper, she wont be as quick but I can use cheaper ply and she is well scaled to a 40 plus.
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

If you treat the Ply with everdure it is all good. Cracking is not an issue. Also good quality ply helps a lot. Well worth the effort.
vk7hch

Post by vk7hch »

I would still go for the FLINT, the problem with cracking has always only appeared when using cheaper Asian sourced ply, the stuff I would use on the stressed portions would be good Bruynzeel ply from Europe. Fortunately I have a local supplier of the gold plated stuff, here is a link discussing the various merits of marine ply, Denman Marine.

Chris
The flock so far...F, FP, TC, WC
phil

Post by phil »

You might want to check the Baby Blue design, 15' v btm low powered planing hull. Better rough water capability than flat bottom models. Claims 12-14 mph on 5-6 hp.
Check out post # 488. "Low h.p. planing boats" in the Designs and Plans section of the Wooden Boat forum.

http://www.woodenboat.com
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Phil:

Thanks for the link, wow that thread burned an hour pretty easy. Baby Blue looks like a a very nice craft, I don't think I could get her on the SUV though. I have a Bolger seahawk that serves as family fishing boat and prawn trap puller with a lighter crew (me) so I am looking for something I can throw on the top of the truck.

If (when) I was going to build something as nice as the Baby Blue I would need to find an Acadia inboard for her.

Out of respect for the original 12 foot flat bottom skiff showcsed in this hijacked thread here is a smart little verison with free plans from a pretty smart guy:

http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/skiff12p/skif12p.htm

phil

Post by phil »

O.K., so now I have to ask, last time I was around Ft.St. John there weren't too many prawns or prawn traps around.

Some of the Woodenboat Forum threads can really eat up your time.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

I found it, took some looking :lol:

Images

Looks good, need to keep it light.

H-A
phil

Post by phil »

Sorry about that, my aging mind can't remember how to highlight the URL and paste it into a post reply. I know it was easy on this I-pad, but I just don't remember how.
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

last time I was around Ft.St. John there weren't too many prawns or prawn traps around.
Nope, I am as marooned as a lover of the sea can get. Two mountain ranges and 1500 klicks is a long way to go for salt air but I get to the coast when I can. I lived in Vancouver for years so I know where to go down that way and when I am flush with dough the Charlottes are a dream of seafood.