Mongrel geneology

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

bruce nickerson

Mongrel geneology

Post by bruce nickerson »

I have a CPCL5 53l5 with AMAL 416 carb, block of unknown origin with a 4 bladed round tipped prop of 8" diameter. Short shaft (in spite of the CPCL designation). I also have a square tipped 5 bladed prop with CPC5 on it. Can anybody tell me what I have here, and which of thte two props to use.

AND:

How do I disassemble and reassemble the cup washers from the thumbscrews on the mounting brackets;
Why (not how) are the detachable clamp engine mount brackets for the Century and Models 75 and 90 and the bracket for models 110/90 so diferent.
Keith.P

Re: Mongrel geneology

Post by Keith.P »

A bitsa, but a picture and in the right section would help.
Never seen a rounded five blade prop, unless its just worn-out, the other prop you have should be on it.
Why is the block of unknown origin?
The thumb screws, just unscrew them to pop the ends off.
And the bracket for models 110/90, well that's just updating the newer models for you and was I suspect less expensive to make without the bronze.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

The brackets for the reversing models allow for full thrust in reverse rather than the frangible plastic bar in earlier models.
bruce nickerson

Sorry about misunderstanding on props. I have two:

one is a rounded tip FOUR blade prop of 8" diameter;
the other is a square tip FIVE blade prop of 8" diameter marked CPC5

I have two blocks:
One has an AMAL 416 carb and is fitted to the CPCL crankdcase serial #531L5
The other has intake on opposite side of block and takes Seagull-Villiers carb

I have two crankcases:
One with the AMAL carb, four blade round tip prop and cranlkcase CPCL5 531L5, currently operating as a bitsa unit;
The other was overheated, broke a con rod, is marked ESC 123 E5, and has a breakerless ignition assembly.

By this time you are as confused as I am.

The operating complete motor is then:
Crankcase CPCL5 531L5 short shaft, AMAL carburetor, WIPAC ignition, and four blade round tip prop.

To summarize (finally!): Which prop should I use on the operating complete motor: The round tip 4 blade, or the square tip 5 blade.

Please help a confused Bostonian.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

What gearbox is fitted? Is the century plus prop (CPC) designed for slower running, hence a different reduction ratio? I made that mistake with a 40 plus earlier this year. Charles pointed out the error of my ways.
bruce nickerson

With a mongrel/bitsa, how do I identify the gear box?
bruce nickerson

Plus, given the block with the AMAL 416 carb, and the CPC crank I have a real BITSA.
Buzzook

Post by Buzzook »

Need pics, bruce.....the Plus gearbox is larger and more rounded-looking than the standard Century box, but you need to see the two together, but our experts here should be ablke to tell from a photo....

...unless someone wants to post up the dimensions of a Century Plus gearbox so Bruce could measure his?? I don't have one or I would...
gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site