Which shaft length for my pram dinghy

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

rayjares

Which shaft length for my pram dinghy

Post by rayjares »

Hi,
this is my first posting about my first boat. Being a newbie at all things marine I'm looking for advice and I'm posting in this forum as I can't find the info in the Beginners Guide.

I've ordered from Composite Mouldings (compositemouldings.com) via ebay an 8 foot pram dinghy. They sell the shell and the owner finishes it off. I plan to push it along with a Forty Plus but don't know which shaft length would suit. The measurement from the top of the transom to the keel is 460mm (18 inches in old money).

Can anybody advise?

Thanks
Ray
The Tinker

Re: Which shaft length for my pram dinghy

Post by The Tinker »

You will find the best height by trial and error. Keep moving your engine up until it cavitates then lower it a little so it is just cavitating on turns. If you get the engine to low it will be hard to start. Seagulls seem to go better when they are higher out of the water. make sure the boat is trimmed how you want it each time you make an adjustment. Weight close to the middle of the boat is a good place to start from. Standard short shaft engine should do the trick.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

If you want to borrow a 40+ standard shaft, pop round and I will lend you one. Then you will know if it is the correct length.

If you are looking to buy a 40+ I have a couple of spares that you could try before you buy.

H-A
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I have a nice tidy 40 plus with a later clutched bottom end, that is surplus. Standard shaft length. I only bought it because it had a rare throttle lever that I needed for another engine. Remember that engine H-A?
rayjares

Post by rayjares »

Thanks H-A I'll take you up on that offer but not quite yet.

The boatbuilders emailed me yesterday that the dinghy should be ready by the end of next week but this project will have to wait until I finish converting my son's VW van into a campervan (not to mention my other son's darkroom build!).

The van deadline is 'ready for Glastonbury' and that's the end of June, so I won't be doing anything until July. Hopefully your offer will hold out till then.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Yes :wink:

H-A