British Seagull, Boat-builders

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

charlesp

British Seagull, Boat-builders

Post by charlesp »

British Seagull did in fact market a boat in the sixties. It was a Poole canoe, made here in Poole (no kidding). It incorporated their 'Trunnel' which can now be seen copied by hundreds of Poole canoe owners, who doubtless reckoned they would modify their own craft with a few bits of plywood rather than pay for a new boat.

I know one chap who had one briefly, he got it from Way-Hope. They only sold a few then abandoned the project.

Sunbeam made a couple of different designs, one of them an ingenious fold-up affair.
Charles uk

Re: British Seagull, Boat-builders

Post by Charles uk »

Manifold don't get too excited, the Poole canoe was more of a water "UTE" (pickup truck)than a Bolwell Nagari ( cool Aussie sports car V8).
Designed for a specific location, large shallow, sheltered, tidal bay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omQ5gFQWRBw
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
outboard

Post by outboard »

Hi Manifold and Charles, if you go to google, enter images, you have a wide range of photos of these canoes. From the youtube video it looks quite stable.
outboard

Post by outboard »

I like this one, however, would our wee seagull's move them? I wouldn't expect much speed, but it would be nice to replicate one, even a bit smaller. There's an exercise for someone to draw up plans, say 12ft. :lol: