"Instant Boats"

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, Charles uk, RickUK, charlesp, petergalileo

deacon bruce

"Instant Boats"

Postby deacon bruce » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:07 am

A plug for the "Instant Boat" series of books by Harold "Dynamite" Payson. I have built a number of these boats- plywood, no lofting or jigs, go together like model airplanes. Many boats suitable for Gulls. My favorite- I have built 2 of them- is the Skimmer in "Build the New Instant Boats" by Harold Payson. 2 sheets of plywood, seaworthy even though flat bottom, can accept up to 15hp. Worth a look.

AusAnzani

Re: "Instant Boats"

Postby AusAnzani » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:26 am

here's the link to the "Power Designs" http://www.mcssl.com/store/hhpaysoncompany/instant-boat-plans/rowing-designs

Are you able to post any photos of your tubs Deacon?

Regards,
S

deacon bruce

Re: "Instant Boats"

Postby deacon bruce » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:00 pm

Unfortunately due to my stupidity and a wife uninterested in either boats or motors, I have no pics. However, here is a good place to start:

http://www.instantboats.com/

These are all flat bottom and easy to build.

I can vouch for this fleet, having built a number whose study plans are someplace in the books published by Payson:

Teal. 12 ft. double ender; sails and rows well. My first building attempt. Beautiful lines. 2 sheets 1/4 inch ply.

Elegant Punt. Built 3, sold first two. 8 feet. 2 sheets 1/4. Sail, power, row. Powered two with Silver Century. Overpowered.

Zephyr: 18 foot, narrow double end. lateen rig. Good in calm to moderate sea.

June Bug. 14 foot, narrow. 4 sheets 1/4 ply. Sails and rows well. Built 2

Skimmer. "Poor Man's Whaler." 8 by 4 foot. Two sheets 1/4 ply. Motor only. Built 2. Used with Johnson 6 hp and Silver Century. Payson says it can take up to 15 hp and has pic showing that.

Am going to try Silver Century again on Elegant Punt.

Return to “Boats Suitable For Seagulls”